I Forge Iron

anvil id for a friend

I think Ralph Hoover initiated the farriery course at California Polytechnic College in San Luis Obispo. He taught the class for quite a few years from the 1950's (?) on until his passing. I believe that Doug Butler, the author, was one of his students. My guess is that Ralph had the anvils cast for his classes.

o.k frank that led to some interesting info, including that hoover did design an anvil....but i can't find a picture of one that says hoover. apparently he either designed the g.e. anvil or they were based on his design, and those look remarkably like the anvil that my friend has. anyone have thoughts on this?
mark

Interesting: Besides my time with R.L. Richmond US Cavalry Retired,I spent some time in California with a great shoer,Don Klucker who was one of Ralph's students. His class had anvils cast that Frank designed but they had absolutely no markings. It was a dandy that was basically the same as the Cavalry issue anvil.

Anvils in America does mention Hoover made by Southern Steel Supply Co. 12350 Los Nietos Road, Santa Fe, CA. Mr Postman reports that the following names might be found on farrier's cast anvils: Hoover, Thomas, Valley and Enders

• 1 year later...

I joined this just to comment on this thread.  I don't know if the information interests you any more, but my dad has a Hoover anvil.  He is the original owner and got it new in 1964 while in the farrier course at Cal Poly San Luis.  His has the same "Hoover" and diamond S logo as yours.  Ralph Hoover did design the anvil and there were only about 70 of them ever made and it was by Southern Steel to my dad's recollection.  The same anvil design was later used with the G.E. logo as Ralph bought George Ernest's G.E. Forge and Tool and moved the company from Klamath Falls, OR to Arroyo Grande, CA just south of San Luis Obispo.  I hope that helps! 

Welcome aboard Shoersdaughter, glad to have you. Really glad. If you'll please put your general location in the header you may be surprised at how many of the IFI gang live within visiting distance.

Just mentioning the names of places brings back memories for me. Feb 9 1971 6:01 Am. I lived in Sylmar almost right between the Olive View and Veteran's hospitals. About 2 months later we moved to Simi Valley. My friends and I started exploring and hanging in Ventura county and north. We lived about 4 miles from the Spawn Movie ranch but after Charlies family moved out. Not the whole family, a friend and I ran into a few once and they were creepy enough we detoured away from then on. That Santa Susana end of Simi Valley around the Spawn movie ranch was really good riding.

Welcome aboard Shoersdaughter, glad to have you. Really glad. If you'll please put your general location in the header you may be surprised at how many of the IFI gang live within visiting distance.

Just mentioning the names of places brings back memories for me. Feb 9 1971 6:01 Am. I lived in Sylmar almost right between the Olive View and Veteran's hospitals. About 2 months later we moved to Simi Valley. My friends and I started exploring and hanging in Ventura county and north. We lived about 4 miles from the Spawn Movie ranch but after Charlies family moved out. Not the whole family, a friend and I ran into a few once and they were creepy enough we detoured away from then on. That Santa Susana end of Simi Valley around the Spawn movie ranch was really good riding. post-975-0-12712300-1371010282_thumb.jpg

This is Banjo, my ride and I. In the yard where we lived in Sylmar just before the quake. The palomino is Tophat's Babydoll. Dad bought her for Mother on Mother's Day. Mother didn't much like horses, didn't ride and wasn't interested in having her own but Dad was sure Babe would changer her mind. That Father's Day Mother bought him a player piano. Even Steven. <grin>

I know this is a digression, hardly what you expected but get to know me and you'll get used to it, or tell me to be quiet or ignore me. All the same to me, I'll understand. Heck, your Dad may have shod our horses one time or another. It's a small world and it marvels me.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 5 years later...

I understand this is a very old thread. I did a search for Hoover anvil and this is the only thing I found so I will comment. Shoersdaughter said "

On 6/11/2013 at 6:12 PM, Shoersdaughter said:

I joined this just to comment on this thread.  I don't know if the information interests you any more, but my dad has a Hoover anvil.  He is the original owner and got it new in 1964 while in the farrier course at Cal Poly San Luis.  His has the same "Hoover" and diamond S logo as yours.  Ralph Hoover did design the anvil and there were only about 70 of them ever made and it was by Southern Steel to my dad's recollection.  The same anvil design was later used with the G.E. logo as Ralph bought George Ernest's G.E. Forge and Tool and moved the company from Klamath Falls, OR to Arroyo Grande, CA just south of San Luis Obispo.  I hope that helps! 

I went through the shoeing course at Cal Poly in spring 1964, shoersdaughter is correct in what she said Ralph had the anvils cast and they came to the school as rough castings. There was a mill in the shop that was used to flatten the face of the anvil, then the person buying the anvil shaped the horn to their liking with a hand grinder and drilled the Pritchel Holes. Then we had a large gas forge set up outside with built up sides of fire brick. We hung the anvils from chain and a large bar and brought them to cherry red over the gas forge. They were then dunked in brine in a large tank. My anvil also has my name stamped into the side of the anvil, some of us did that and some didn't. Over fifty years of beating on the anvil and the horn is like it was the day it was new. Didn't get quite as good a temper on the face, but it has held up well. I don't know if Doug Butler has the story of this anvil in one of his books or not, but he was at the school when it all took place.

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

It's a lot like selling a car; people will want to know the make, model, size (2 door or 4 door), condition, major repairs, etc.

Unless you are offering free international shipping LOCATION is also a must. Shoot we need to know where it is just to make a guess at "worth". Anvils tend to be cheaper in England than Australia; prices can vary even in just one country.