I Forge Iron

Got my first forge!

Looks like a good forge. Congratulations!!!

A hair dryer will work for heating small metal, but I don't think you will be able to do any forge welding, or heating much metal over 1/2" thick, and it probably won't hold up long.

I use a blowdryer all the time and it works great, more air than I need. I just cut a soda can up and duct taped it to the forge to make an adapter that the dryer will slide into. That way i can just take the blower in when I am done, the forge stays outside. I took a sewing machine pedel and made a speed control.

That's a great find, is the handle original or an add on for the cart? If it is an add on the bolt hole was probably for the bracket that held a hand crank blower, as found on the round fire pots.
I agree with above post either online or better yet a local blacksmith group.
It amazes me at all the different styles of forges produced and yours is another first for me.
Have fun with it!

Looks like a nice score to me. A hair dryer till you find a better blower will get it to work.

I have a metal head friend lives in Ocala and he might be a dandy contact for finding what you're looking for and maybe learning some smithing and other metal or glass work. His name is Bill Roberts, tell him Frostilio sent you.

Frosty The Lucky.

That's a great find, is the handle original or an add on for the cart? If it is an add on the bolt hole was probably for the bracket that held a hand crank blower, as found on the round fire pots.
I agree with above post either online or better yet a local blacksmith group.
It amazes me at all the different styles of forges produced and yours is another first for me.
Have fun with it!

I think the handle was added at some point.
there is a spot for a blower underneath.001.jpg
There is a Blacksmiths group not too far, I plan to contact them, Also currently the forge and anvil are being stored in my garage but I will be moving them into the workshop in back, I also have a large air compressor, do you think that might work with an adapter?

I don't think you will like the compressor. If it is large enough to keep up the noise will drive you nuts. You can pick up a blower for $60 to $150. That sounds high compared to the price of your forge but you got a STEEL! I have bought two Champion blowers in the last three years and paid $75 for each one. Also from the last pic it looks like that air inlet is the add on. I am using the welded pipe to base my thought. The rest, including the legs look like a single casting. The round firepots had a little bracket that bolted on about where that handle bolt is and the blower bolted to the bracket. I am not sure for yours though as I have never seen that style before.

That model blower on ebay is a very small sheet metal stamping for use heating rivets; the output is only about 1.5 inches wide. I have the same model that I use on a tabletop 10 inch micro forge for demos where I am only working small stock, it will wear you out just to heat up a RR spike. The upside is that I can pack everything for a demo in a Honda.

I think you would be happier with the hair dryer or bathroom fan until you can get a real cast iron blower.

post-114-0-71570500-1332075045_thumb.jpg

As mentioned a blow drier's biggest problem is putting too much air in and you will tend to burn up your pieces---way hotter than for forge welding even in a much bigger forge.

Almost all the modern super efficient furnaces have assisted draft exhausts; meaning that a good HVAC place probably has a scrap pile of furnaces with working blowers on them. Talk with them---you don't wan the squirrel cage whole house blower but the assisted draft blower. Should be free to a couple of dollars.

If you want to go on the road with that forge a chinese box bellows might suit you.

Seeing that hole in the cross bar on the side makes me think that that forge was originally set up with one of the lever actuated blowers as that was where the axle would go. (I've never been impressed with them so not having it is a plus in my book!)

Nice forge. Looks like its got some good years left in it!

I won't pretend to be an expert in blacksmithing, as i'm very new to it myself, but i'd agree with the others that a cheap hairdrier will service fine as a blower for now. I used one for a while and still use it now!
If you can remove the heating element from it, then that will help, but a lot of hairdriers these days are held together with safety screws to stop you opening them up. If you can't get it out it may overheat every now and again and stop working. Just let it cool down, and whilst that happens you can clear the clinker from your fire.

As for tongs, you could make some yourself (not sure of your experience level), or go to this local group and get them to show you how to make them.
You never know, they may be generous enough to give you some.

Good luck!

Mr Thomas is probably right about that ratcheting blower set up, good catch sir. I use one for demos and can tell you they get a lot of attention from the crowd. There are some good pictures on this site of some free standing ones. They do make a little rattling sound as the teeth coast back but other than that I have no complaints. Let us know what you come up with.

• 4 weeks later...

That's a great little forge. Looks very robust!

The air system is definitely an add-on, as is the handle, but that's okay. Heck, it all works together and that's all that matters.

I'd line her with fire cement (1 part portland cement to 3 parts clean, dry sand) and create a fire pot. This will help to contain the fire and insulate the cast iron so it doesn't crack.

For air, watch/use searchtempest.com to look for hand-cranked blowers. If you were closer, we could talk trade on the spare I have....

Tongs can be made very easily using the twist technique:

Looks like you're on the right path. Best to ya!