I Forge Iron

Marking Hot Metal For Precision Work

What do you all use for making marks on metal that's going to be heated red hot or hotter that can seen? The question is I want to make precise layout marks on bars to be able to form and forge them. The parts are too long so setting stops off my hammer tooling won't work. I need some precision for uniformity of the product, lets say +/- 32nd of an inch.

I wish to mark a part and then put in the tool, register it to a witness mark on the tooling, and then hit it. I'm machining a lot of tools in mild and tool steel to forge parts and this issiue is giving me a problem. Everyone has been so helpful in sharing their tips and secrets, how about helping a new brother blacksmith wana be out again. Soap stone and little grind marks are too hard to see, is there anything better than that?

square center punch marks put in cold then enlarged at low red heat. The square marks show much better than round. On some of my punches I make a small point to feel the center punch mark. Got the idea from iron worker punches.

I sometimes use a chisel line across the part, kind of depends on how it will be forged. Square center punch is also nice. Thanks for the handle idea Rich I have a short one one that I only use on cold metal, I will have to add a handle to it.

They can be very precise if you make the necessary allowances, 1/64" per inch at a yellow/orange heat will get you pretty close.
I had to make up a U-shaped piece about 3' across once, the die was almost 3/4" wider than the finished(cooled off) piece in order to meet the +/- 1/16" tolerance.

since steel expands with heat *very* precise markings will be imprecise in use...

Whilst agreeing with your statement, In practice, I dont' see what you are getting at.

You mark it cold, heat it and it expands, work it, let it cool, metal goes back to original state,

The marks are datums to work from, and mark out calculated allowances to produce lengths required.

I would make forging allowances when marking out for whatever reason.

I do the square punch thing every now and then, but once the bar is heated I just scrape something with a sharp edge across the bar-the scale falls into the punch mark and show up that way pretty well-I'm just another illiterate smith too lazy to use the soapstone lol.

I've used Pentel PRESTO! brand correction pens for the past four years or so. It is a ball point and the plastic body is squeezable to start the flow, if necessary. It should not touch hot iron, or the ball mushes. In most cases, the mark lasts into an orange heat. I've tried other brands, but the ball feed failed after a short time.

Often projects get more marks when hot based on previous marks after work has been done on it (why my measuring tape has singes along one side...and I have hook rules up to 2'...)

Thanks Thomas, I agree in that situation, I tend to use dividers/calipers a lot to transfer measurements onto hot pieces, I also have scorched tapes.