I Forge Iron

Piping an Eye Punch

Nice vid, do you normalise before you finish grind, file and finish the end, seems in the sequence you normalised after this, can you clarify please.

John, I just let the punch cool slowly after forging and it's pretty soft. Then I do the final grinding and and finishing, normalize once or twice before hardening and tempering.

I punched the end after shaping the punch, then ground to intent. I was rather not happy with how the punch upsetted while I was punching it (did that make sense?)

I may have to try this since it is a simple looking technique and appears to provide a better controlled rim.

Phil

Phil, I know what you mean. I do the same thing, but leave the end a bit heavier than needed before punching. Then you can grind the excess off to the desired shape and size.

Usually when we're forging we're having a hard time not getting the piping action. Now we can use it!

Great to see someone using a technique(pipeing) based on a result that most people only see as a negative. The use of pipeing to start the mandrel for DOM tubing is something they did back in the teens in industry. I don't know if this is still the process used.
Good video ciladog

• 2 weeks later...

thanks very much for the video. I've been scouring the forum for a week now trying to find a better way to accomplish this than the way I tried - driving a ball bearing into a punched spot on the face of the tool. I think this will be much better. Can't wait to try it.