I Forge Iron

flower hook

beth

Thomas, sometimes with artwork, the weld can be a feature, I don't see a problem with it, but I get what you are saying and I don't like to see some unsightly blob poorly done sitting there either. All in the eye, as they say...

I agree, sometimes the weld is a feature, but it needs to look nice.
At the ABANA conf in Memphis the blacksmith had spent some time making a nice sculpture that consisted of several parts. They were welded together using MIG but the welds were placed in plain sight and not that pretty. If you can hide them then I say do so, if not make the look like you know how to weld or "camo" the welds as Beth did so nicely....I didn't realize it was a weld til she mentioned it but was wondering why the tiny weld spatter.

Beth - Very nice job on the flowered hook - I like it. Here's some food for thought. - make your rivet (or use a purchased one).... decorate the head (using a rivet backing tool - block with a hole in it).... rivet the flower to the "whatever" and pien the rivet on the back of the "whatever", backing up the decorated rivet from the showing side with a block or a tapered round (to fit inside the flower) of aluminum with a slightly drilled area to support the head of the rivet. By doing this, any heating and finishing of the rivet is not seen and you will not have a problem of possibly damaging the work of the inside of the delicate flower. Also, by using an aluminum block the rivet head itself will not be damaged by the upsetting of the other end of the rivet. This is the way I finish rivets if both sides are view able and I want the facets on the rivet to be the same on both ends of the rivets(or decoratated).

• 3 weeks later...

I love it Beth, I think the texture on the petals looks fantastic. I wouldn't worry about the use of the welder, It's just another tool we use to increase our productivity, innit. It should not be be seen as something that lessens our creativity.

Ian

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...