I Forge Iron

Smithy finally taking shape.

Every nice weather day I would walk outside to work on the smithy I would pass the forge and it would beckon me to build a fire. Being weak I would start a fire and forge, A dreary rainy day was what I needed to prod me into working on the smithy this afternoon.

The forge, anvils and vise waiting for move in day. Still need to put up the tin on the rear, frame out the two side windows and add a stack for the forge.
post-14490-0-84919300-1328488643_thumb.j

The back and side. The openings on the sides will also be tin but will be hinged at the top to swing open upwards letting in more light and let in a breeze in the summer. I may use some fiberglass panels if I can find some instead of tin for the openings.
post-14490-0-46891600-1328489049_thumb.j

The front opening on the right side will have a half wall on the bottom and the front left will have a half door on the bottom. This way I can keep little ones (and inquisitive older ones) from wandering around the work area but still let them see whats going on from a safe distance. I may put canvas on the top of the half walls that will roll up.
post-14490-0-91848100-1328489255_thumb.j

It is 12' x 15' with a 7'6" ceiling at its lowest point in the rear.

I also need to finish the front eave. Everything used to build the shop is from something that was dismantled on the farm. The old cattle pen gave up the lumber. Old sheds gave up the tin. The only cost incurred was screws for the tin and a box of nails. Hopefully when hurricane season kicks in it won't fly too far. This is a work and a plan in progress. As I build it I change my plans. Thanks for looking.

Mark <><

Looks good Mark, i'd think about a couple buckets of gravel for the ground keep you out of the mud.

Sam,
You sir are 100% correct! It rained for the past day and a half and it was this afternoon that I realized I built it in a hole. What a dummy. I do need to do something about the floor. Gravel will be in order. perhaps some abc/crush and run. That packs down pretty well. The fellow that supplies me with horseshoes ands lets me sell at his events owns the local sand company and is a developer. Lucky me! Dirt that will be cheap as dirt!

Tim,
I hope to have it up and running within two weeks. All I have to do is walk past the forge and not build a fire. Man thats tough.

Thanks for the encouraging words guys.

I was eyeballing some old auger tubing by the tractor shed yesterday. :) I was originally looking at 10" galvanised but found a piece of auger tubing that will work great. I was thinking of sinking one end into the ground 2 ft (for added stability) on the outside of the back wall of the shop and running it up 4' above the roof line and attaching the side draft through the wall to it. Know what I mean?

• 2 weeks later...

So I walked past the forge under the tree and stared at the semi worked on smithy. I made up my mind to not light a fire this last saturday and dedicate the day to working on the smithy.here are some pics of where it is now. Done except for a half wall in the front right and a few panels of tin on the front eave. Other than that I am good to light a fire and get back to work.

post-14490-0-92770300-1329783431_thumb.j
Before the walls were finished.
post-14490-0-39260000-1329783521_thumb.j
Done and moved in.
post-14490-0-51815700-1329783581_thumb.j
Forge and anvil
post-14490-0-71169900-1329783627_thumb.j
Front view
post-14490-0-34942800-1329783754_thumb.j
Forge and blower.
post-14490-0-78321500-1329783849_thumb.j
Some ugly guy that pounds on hot iron.

This is the first structure that I have ever made and the scariest thing is that all the work was done by myself alone. We'll see what happens this hurricane season.
I took my brake drum 55 Forge and added another 55 gal drum with a large cathedral opening in the front as a hood to the top. The opening is cut about 190 degrees to allow longer stock to be placed across the fire. The stack is 10 inch dia and runs from the hood thru the roof sticking 4' above the roof with a rain cap on top. I lit a small fire in the forge and the stack draws a draft. Both of the windows on the sides are covered in tin but hinge upwards to allow more daylight and a breeze to flow thru when opened. The floor for now is sand/clay mix because its what we have here.
We had 40+ mph winds for 2 days and it it still tight as a tick.
Everything is inside and if I get the chance this week after my day job I will fire up some coal.
Thanks for looking.

Mark <><

Looking good! Maybe try working with your barrel hood turned at 90 degrees from where it is now. Put it on the left side. That way you can slide your metal straight into your forge and long pieces will pass the hood instead of hitting it. Anxious to see what you'll be making!

Looking good! Maybe try working with your barrel hood turned at 90 degrees from where it is now. Put it on the left side. That way you can slide your metal straight into your forge and long pieces will pass the hood instead of hitting it. Anxious to see what you'll be making!

Randy, I wrestled with the idea of putting in on like you said but the way it is now affords me the most possibilities. I can lay the piece crossways. The forge is old and the hood is new. The lip around the forge has cutouts to allow the material to pass into the fire better. Glad you like it. I will remember your advice for the next one. Thanks.

A sliding barn door and a small wood stove and a hammock you'd be ready to move into it when you have PO'd the powers that be...

I've had forges in falling down chicken coops before---including one I had to use my cannon to evict the groundhogs tearing up the floor.

Now start decorating the interior with examples of your forging!

• 4 weeks later...

I added a half wall to the front right half the other day.
post-14490-0-80914600-1332104777_thumb.j

I may put matching swinging doors on the left side one of these days.

Then I will work on the 2nd floor, the panic room and the indoor bowling lane. Perhaps I should stop while the wife still loves me and lets me play. :-)

Mark <><

Boy have I been asleep, I just noticed your new shop Mark. It's looking good though it'll turn out to be too small. I put up a 30' x 40' steel building and had it full before I got all the walls on. That's just the of things though, smiths are packrats, it's a natural law.

How cold does it get in winter? A wood stove behind you're normal working position at the forge really helps on cold days. It's also a good place to keep a coffee pot and warm lunch, especially if you have a strategically placed comfy chair. Nothing beats putting your feet up to the stove and sipping a cup of joe on a cold day. It'll also give your friends a spot to gather for a cup and story swap. You want to cultivate drop in coffee buddies, you'll always run into things you need a strong back or two for.

It is believe me a special treat to have your own shop.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 2 weeks later...