I Forge Iron

you may be a blacksmith!

irontwister

Not when you're included, it would seem

Not when it advocates stealing, it isn't. Sorry but stealing is not funny, and not something to joke about.

I have had more than one business say that they don't want to be near a blacksmith because of fear that they would steal iron from them. Not funny, at least not to an adult. Edited by UnicornForge

Chances are if you just ask the property owner, he would have GIVEN you a section of the rail road track he used for fence posts. Humor has nothing to do with destroying a fence and chasing livestock all over the countryside, hauling the livestock back home, and then having to repair the fence.

To suggest activities that are against the law on an open forum is not a good idea. It brings a lot of attention toward you, real fast. We have a large number of both active and retired law enforcement officers (which are also blacksmiths, bladesmiths, and metalworkers) on the site. They live in many different countries of the world, including your location, and you have just alerted them to be on the look out for missing fence posts, etc.

IForgeIron is dedicated to safety, building a community where folks help each other, and to the craft of blacksmithing. Please review the site guide lines if there are any questions.

Rail track ? Not as in train track, right ? I f this is correct, I have never seen't a track rail used as a fence post. We have cemented them in the barn to keep a tractor from knocking out a timber. I guess they would make good corner posts to a fence when used along with another brace post and cross wire bracing, but seems like overkill.

In the fields around here there are dozens in not hundreds of corner posts and embankment posts that are rr track. I have been told that they are sunk at least their height into the ground, so that's 4 ft for most, or more. This was from a neighbor who tried pulling one with an excavator once.

Phil

Just to throw it in there, I never stole the fencepost. I just found it amusing I so easily noticed it amongst the weeds and hedges. If I wanted it, I would've asked the landowner, who I know.

And in this case, he'd lazily wrapped the fencewire around it several times. It wasn't doing it's intended job very well...

Friends,
I have read this thread with some amusement at the various posts, but could not let the re-cycling of RR track "as fence posts" go past without without sharing what happens in parts of Australia.

In South Australia they used to re-cycle RR track with a liberal amount of concrete to make power poles, colloquially known as "Stovie Poles" (apologies to and corrections, abuse accepted from any S.A. members).

What you wind up with is a power pole that is shown in the pics attached, comprising of two RR tracks with a whole lot of concrete in the middle.

As a young man traveling Australia I could never resolve if the story about their name related to some town planner, engineer or politician, named Stovie, who decided to recycle RR in this fashion or whether the popular anecdote that if you hit one with your car it will certainly "stove" the front end in (aka. stovie).

At the end of the day I guess it shows a form of re-cycling steel (albeit without heat or hammers) and probably has its roots in the nearly 2,500 miles (4,500km) of track between Sydney and Perth and a lack of forests in S.A (which is roughly in the middle).

Anyway - A Merry Christmas to all and to get back on track for this thread....

You may be a Blacksmith if you look at a "Stovie Pole" and see a whole lot of hammers.

Trevor

20132.attach

20133.attach

• 2 weeks later...

Well, lets just say that anyone rummaging around in my 130-year-old farm buildings for stuff is likely to really really really tick me (and my mastiffs) off, especially without permission.

My in-laws spent over 50 years dealing with folks making free on their farm with their flowers, their plants, and anything else not guarded with a large dog and a shot-gun. Apparently folks felt that since it was on a farm and not fenced in or locked-up then no-one owned it. Imagine people actually thinking that digging up flowers along your driveway was free stuff.

You might be a blacksmith if you store stuff in an old barn.

always ask fore i take anything. always ask permisssion before ,if any body has anything to do with the place in 20 years ,orso.