I Forge Iron

you may be a blacksmith!

irontwister

You might be a blacksmith if you search the internet dreaming about powerhammers and brand new anvils
while all your friends can talk about is snowmobiles and atvs.

Just went for supper with some buddies the other day. The conversation quickly turned to snowmobiling
and how everyone was planning to either buy a new one or radically modify their current one.
Definatly made me feel alone in my hobby, as well as a bit old.

those are some pretty good ones! Am I the only one that snoops through old buildings and such in search of blacksmtihng/antique tools???...

No indeed, you are noy alone. It's winter here but I could walk you to a set of complete iron makings to build a set of wagon wheels. I've never built them but it sure would be fun to have a go. Price is right too. Humphry

You may be a blacksmith...
If you bring the rust FROM the dump instead of TO the dump.

You bought a bigger truck to carry more rust.

You now hide the rust so she doesn`t realize just how much there really is.

She realizes half way thru the conversation that the addition she was getting excited about is for the shop.

One thing I like about snow,it covers rust real well.Now if I could figure out a way to effectively hide the tire tracks she`d never know what`s under those piles.At least till spring.

You might be a blacksmith if you search the internet dreaming about powerhammers and brand new anvils
while all your friends can talk about is snowmobiles and atvs.

Just went for supper with some buddies the other day. The conversation quickly turned to snowmobiling
and how everyone was planning to either buy a new one or radically modify their current one.
Definatly made me feel alone in my hobby, as well as a bit old.

You might be a blacksmith if all your buddies with ATVs and snowmachines (Very few folk in AK call them snowmobiles) ask YOU to repair the steel they bend on an average weekend.

Oh yeah, most of the Alaskan blacksmiths I know have both snowmachines and ATVs or at least one each.

Frosty the Lucky

• 4 months later...

if you are a true blacksmith you know a little about ... shoeing horses, fixing fences, making waterboxes, and general ranch maintenance

if you are a true blacksmith you recieve the look from your wife / mom (depending on age) every time you pass a good sized chunk of iron

you might be a blacksmith if yu have not meet a piece of steel that you didn't lke and want to take home. I have pile of steel that most people think of as rusted scrap and I just see another project in the works.

you might be a blacksmith if you have more triphammers than children

you might be a blacksmith if you named your sons "Hay" and "Budden"

you might be a blacksmith if you use ice for burns and not beer

or maybe "you might be a real blacksmith if you use ice for beer and not burns"

• 1 year later...

Thats interesting, at the last ABASA meeting we were trying to work out a way of ordering and transporting 10 tons of coke from one state to another in a truck, and getting it dumped in my front paddock for bagging off into 600kg bulka bags and 30kg bags for the hobbysmiths. Are we talking about the same stuff?

ramsies - i had that very confusion in a text message i sent to the wrong person about some coke :) luckily the person who got the message couldnt have cared a less what kind of coke i was buying :)

maillemaker - i like it - some of the best stuff comes from the scrap :)

thomas- if there was, im sorry, i didnt see it.

you may be a blacksmith if your hair started out blonde and right now you cant seem to get the black out. (anyone have ANY IDEA on how to do this? im about to shave my head to a skin head and start over, im just afraid the top of my head will turn black.)