I Forge Iron

That isn't a... Now THIS is a...

justj2

couldn't find a post similar so i figured id start one, please tell me if this is in the wrong place :)

So the idea as you have probably guessed from the title is, there's regular sized tools and then there's the massively over(or under) sized tools which put all others to shame, or if they're really tiny then you just want it anyway because... who doesn't?

I'll start off - although someone will more than likely put me to shame with a bigger one fast enough ;)

That isnt a rasp...
th_imagecreate.jpg

THIS is a rasp.
th_IMAG0003.jpg

That's my grandads old rasp, still in good nic and still used - next to my size 12UK boot, which i think is 12 and a half US?
The top pic was just taken from google
I have a 28lbs sledge somewhere which dwarves most others, ill try to get a pic up soon

What you got?! Big or small

J

PS tell me if this is meant to be elsewhere or a generally unwanted post

I tend to like the entire range---I have hammers from 2oz to 17 pounds (and would not turn down a larger one but the 17# belonged to my wife when I married her...)

I have a small ford wrench for twisting and then twisting wrenches for stock around 3/8" sq and the large one for stock 1+" square

Hot cuts from an inch wide blade to one that's 3" wide

Tongs that will hold 1/32" up to tongs that will hold 2"

anvils from a 25# travel stump anvil to a 515# shop anvil.

Etc, having the *right* size tool makes things so much easier!

I love this place :wub:
This could easly turn into becomming I Forge Iron "Show and Tell"
I have a great friend who loves to build also.

By accident we developed what we called "Tool of the Month Club"
We tryed to out do each other by obtaining the most expensive tool, or the biggest , or (you just name it) tool each month!
As the months and years went buy, you can imagine the number of un-nessary tools we collected just to out do each other.

We always kept in mind That "He who dies with the most tools, dies with the most tools". The End!!!!
I have never seen a U-Haul Truck following a hearse.
Then your kids and wife will sell them in a yard sell for $0.10c on the dollar! :huh:
I have seen that happen with my friends whole blacksmith shop.!

I still have tools that earn their storage just by being different. I call them collectables, other people may call them junk! :P
If I was able to post photos I would! ~ I am not able to use the gallery at this time, I have tried!

This thread sounds promising in that we may see some interesting tools!

hi its moony here ok i will get more photos from mitchell my son hes the camera bloke , an as to Mr Paley dose he evey enter ifi hes a wizz , when i visit usa one day i would love to meet up with him ,
we have a iron gathering here been now going 27 years called IRON CORROBOREE one of the founding member shes visited and worked at paleys shop some 20 years ago,

here's another of mine, again used to be my grandads

This isnt a drill
th_drill1.jpg

Now THIS is a drill.
th_drill2.jpg
It may not be the biggest but its certainly one of the most powerful, i have plans to turn it into a pillar drill as using it by hand is quite impractical. As soon as it snags on anything you're going to get a broken wrist from it!

J

Is that an old Craftsman D-handle drill? My Dad has one of those, they are beasts! The D is just for positioning since the beast is so heavy, the long pipe handle is to resist movement. Using the pipe fitting to hold the drill to a track with a lever may not be a bad idea for a home grown drill press, especially since the tool itself isn't altered.

Phil

• 3 weeks later...

Like Thomas I got hammers from a 2 oz. Heller ball peen to a 16# sledge plus some jeweler and watch maker hammers that a really tiny. I guess when you're forging watch parts it don't much of a strike to be a bit too much so they make them small. I got some big old files that were used in mills to remove flash from forging around here somewhere. They used to make big tools before the advent of electricity and then with the advent of electricity the made some really big power tools just because they hadn't figured out how to make small electric motors.

• 3 weeks later...

I love this place :wub:
This could easly turn into becomming I Forge Iron "Show and Tell"
I have a great friend who loves to build also.

By accident we developed what we called "Tool of the Month Club"
We tryed to out do each other by obtaining the most expensive tool, or the biggest , or (you just name it) tool each month!
As the months and years went buy, you can imagine the number of un-nessary tools we collected just to out do each other.

We always kept in mind That "He who dies with the most tools, dies with the most tools". The End!!!!
I have never seen a U-Haul Truck following a hearse.
Then your kids and wife will sell them in a yard sell for $0.10c on the dollar! :huh:
I have seen that happen with my friends whole blacksmith shop.!

I still have tools that earn their storage just by being different. I call them collectables, other people may call them junk! :P
If I was able to post photos I would! ~ I am not able to use the gallery at this time, I have tried!

This thread sounds promising in that we may see some interesting tools!

How's your health? :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...