I Forge Iron

Stock Storage

I am having trouble with stock storage, can you please help me with this problem. Right now i have some sections of 3'' pvc pipe stacked with my stock but i dont have anymore pvc and dont want to buy more.

P.S. i got the pvc pipe idea from someone else but i dont remember who and i am not taking credit for it.

Help us out here. Who much stock you looking to store, 100 feet or 2 ton, what length - 20 footers, 10 footers, or left overs, what sizes of stock, what shape - round, square, angle iron, channel, etc etc. What is the type building you are working in and the dimensions of the building / work area? How to you cut the stock to length?

Lots of possibilities. You just need to use your imagination to figure out a way to make it work.

i just put some shelf brackets (the sort where you have a long rail screwed vertically and hook brackets into the rail) on the outside wall of my workshop (with a roof over them). I don't work on big stuff, but after a delivery there is probably 500kg of steel in 1 to 6m lengths. My off cuts (less than 1m) are stood up by the forge or in a pile in a corner, but I try to use them first before going to the racks otherwise I get samped in bits!

Dave, does this cope well with the weight?
how many uprights to cover the 6m length?
how much steel per 'shelf'

how much cover have they got?
it'd be great to have a pic at some point

I've desperate to find a decent storage method for 6m lengths as i hate cutting them in half on delivery day

I got a hold of sme 3/16x1 1/4 flat bar for cheep so here's what I did. I cut three lengths (16-inches 12-inches and 8-inches I think,) and screwed them to the 2x4 walls. These hold the stock upright (MUCH more space efficent than horizontal,) in up to 12 foot lengths.

There is another line of bars higher up (about 10 feet up) to support the top of my stock. That grey pipe is the power supply line into our shop so there is a rod welded across the flat bar to keep the stock off of the pipe. There is also a rod on the lower line of bars to keep the steel off of that yellow electric wire running through the wall.

DSC02965.jpg

The above rack takes care of everything 4-feet plus. For pieces under four feet, make you a rack with large pipe pieces of different lengths and put all of your short stock in that.

Dave, does this cope well with the weight?
how many uprights to cover the 6m length?
how much steel per 'shelf'

how much cover have they got?
it'd be great to have a pic at some point

I've desperate to find a decent storage method for 6m lengths as i hate cutting them in half on delivery day

How much weight do you want to stock?
Rather than come off brackets fixed to a wall, make some free standing "A"Frames (or L shaped if you want to back them up to a wall) and weld on supports at various heights, the weight will be taken on the floor, and if L shaped, you can bolt them to a wall just to stop them moving.

I used 4 L shaped ones made from 50mm x 50mm x 6mm angle for the upright and base, welded some gussets in at the base to give them some strength, then attached 25mm RHS with a plate welded on the free end to stop material sliding forward( makes ends safer too) making "open shelves" to stack the materials on, leaving an open front to load the stock into

By arranging them suitably you can stock 1metre, 3metre, 5 metre, 6 meter and (even 7.6metre lengths if you get RHS stock.)

You can make the base into a T shape to make them free standing, smaller sections go on top level, larger sections on lower levels as appropriate. Each 'shelf' has 1/2" square bars welded on upright to act as stock dividers and to keep the sections and sizes seperate (well that was the intention)

The amount of weight mine holds is well in excess of 1ton

When you run out of storage space it's time to stop buying and start making! Especially design a product that will use up a lot of the fiddly bits

Long pieces that are for a particular item that only gets made on demand I tend to store in the rafters.

I'm looking around for some steel pipe that I can stack vertically on it's side next to my shop to store full length stock in and be able to lock it down to avoid it wandering off. Unfortunately the pipe is common---well casing---but so is a use for it and so the price stays above my hobby shop limits.

How much weight do you want to stock?
Rather than come off brackets fixed to a wall, make some free standing "A"Frames (or L shaped if you want to back them up to a wall) and weld on supports at various heights, the weight will be taken on the floor, and if L shaped, you can bolt them to a wall just to stop them moving.

I used 4 L shaped ones made from 50mm x 50mm x 6mm angle for the upright and base, welded some gussets in at the base to give them some strength, then attached 25mm RHS with a plate welded on the free end to stop material sliding forward( makes ends safer too) making "open shelves" to stack the materials on, leaving an open front to load the stock into

By arranging them suitably you can stock 1metre, 3metre, 5 metre, 6 meter and (even 7.6metre lengths if you get RHS stock.)

You can make the base into a T shape to make them free standing, smaller sections go on top level, larger sections on lower levels as appropriate. Each 'shelf' has 1/2" square bars welded on upright to act as stock dividers and to keep the sections and sizes seperate (well that was the intention)

The amount of weight mine holds is well in excess of 1ton

Thanks for this, i made a similar thing (although quite small scale) when i got my first sizeable order, it was inside a pig sty and so i was cutting lengths to 3m, i've now moved on and want to keep the lengths uncut if possible.
I've looked a various ideas, i liked the simplicity of using 4 or 6" plastic tubing but discovered it's fairly expensive. Reading your solution i guess there's no getting round the fact that it's going to cost me to set up decent storage. But i suppose it will last a very long time!

Thanks for this, i made a similar thing (although quite small scale) when i got my first sizeable order, it was inside a pig sty and so i was cutting lengths to 3m, i've now moved on and want to keep the lengths uncut if possible.
I've looked a various ideas, i liked the simplicity of using 4 or 6" plastic tubing but discovered it's fairly expensive. Reading your solution i guess there's no getting round the fact that it's going to cost me to set up decent storage. But i suppose it will last a very long time!

Mines been there 30 years, so a good investment and is still going strong. Now I've retired it will be looking for a new home or going to the scrappies