I Forge Iron

Post vise ?

Randy478

Search your local craigslist every day and you may get lucky. I found 6 vices of various sizes, some were missing springs and brackets, but they all had good screws. I bought the whole lot for $280.00, the guy was going to a baseball game that night and needed beer money. There was one real nice 6 inch vise in the bunch missing the spring and bracket- an easy fix for a black smith, the screw is the main thing that I look at, bent legs and jaws that do not line up can be corrected.

Quad-State 2010---a typical 4" post vise was about $75 in the lower range; I picked up a 6" for $50 but that was a DEAL!

I recently bought a couple of 4-4.5" for $30 apiece on craigslist.

Where are you at? In Ohio they were about half the cost of them out here in New Mexico all the time.

• 1 month later...

ya i would say that the standard price where im at in IL is about 100-125$ for a 4 1/2" inch vise. some times i see them for like 75.
I gt real lucky and got a 5"er at a auction for 38$. your best bet if your on a tight budget is constantly search craigslist, i had to search for a year before i found that insane anvil deal i was praying to find (i ended up getting 2 peter wrights for 250). keep looking and youll get one soon enough

• 1 month later...

http://annarbor.craigslist.org/tls/2829622804.html

A post vice as massive as this, in this kind of condition is a rarity. The jaws are 6" wide in excellent condition. Manufactured by The Iron City Co. Overall height is 43" $350, Toledo

5I35G45F63Gf3Fd3H4c214f5a1e3462fe1044.jp