I Forge Iron

Big anvils: who makes the best current production?

I've been smithing for years on a 250 lb. JHM, but every once in a while I'll take a class or work in someone else shop where they have a really big anvil, 500 lbs. or so, and they always feels so stable, spacious and luxurious (once they heat up a bit at least).

I'm setting up a new shop and was thinking maybe I'd splurge and pick up a new anvil, something nice and big. Anyone have thoughts or suggestions about current sources for large blacksmith anvils? (Say, 400 lb and up.) I have a preference for American made, but understand that that's not always feasible. I was looking at the NIMBAs, but I'm not wild about their configuration (no step from anvil to horn, hardy hole placement). What else is out there that folks like?

heheh Ill get my opinion in before the storm hits, I Ilike http://www.blksmth.com/Refflinghaus_Anvils.htm but have the same issue you do with no step. but I love the stile of http://www.fontaninianvilandtool.com/http___www.fontaninianvilandtool.com/Welcome.html

My personal goal is to save the 15k or so and have my own cast.

Im sending a lot of big anvils across the pond early next year, to 600lb + , classic English stuff with a bit of soul. Larry from 'monster metal' is the man to drop a note to if you want somthing with a bit of history to it, I am sure he will contact you when they arrive with more details of whats available.

Anvils are relatively inexpensive in the UK, collecting them isnt! we pay £1.40 for a litre of diesel here!!!! cant help but think I must have a screw loose, somewhere :wacko:

There is a pile of metal that would make even the most hardened blacksmith drool building up though :wub:

yes there are a lot of anvils here , but no really big ones come my way . and I would like a big anvil (6 hundred weight or more) so next time one comes your way gis a ring before you send it state side and I'll see if my pocket is big enough to meet your pre sending cross the pond price.
(I am a fool and did not buy 2 700weight anvils because they would not fit in my car ...that was about 12 years ago now.....) . these things will not get cheaper and all the big ones disappear off of ebay before I can get a bid in (paid for in dollars I would guess)!!!
I am not bitter! I just do not want to have to bring one back from the USA in Ten years time!!

Ok, Big boys want big toys, my 300lb. mousehole is the biggest anvil in my shop. I really see no need for a HUGE anvil and consider it just something bigger to walk around. My haybud 250 is firmly mounted to a steel pipe stand that is anchor bolted to the floor, absolutely no movement, any hit, any direction.Don't see the fascination. Any BIG bucks I find will go for a bigger power hammer, before I buy a bigger anvil

when you are working with a striker and an anvil making axes , with a 5lb lump of carbon steel on the bick being hit hard to straiten out a curve then a 400lb anvil moves .
my figuring is that a heavier anvil will move less!

aside from that i would one day like a "big" anvil , no apologies for that!!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Fontanini-250-Love it- but if you're looking for a big one I would go a Fontanini 450 (or it's somewhere in that range), or the Nimba (Gladiator??). American made-in my opinion I should support (and do wherever possible) American workers and crafts people. I have a Hay-Budden (around 225 or so) that is mint and once I got my Fontanini it's rarely gotten used. The Fontanini is so much more versatile for me and what I do with the shelf,upsetting block and the euro style horn. For doing finer work the euro style horn is sweet. In my opinion (and you know about opinions-they're like rear ends, we ALL have one and they ALL stink), the really big ones are only useful for industrial stuff-the face is way too wide for any small work. Also-they're a bear to move. I work on all sides of my anvil depending on what I'm doing and a really big one is just too much work to move a big one around.

Isn't a power hammer just like having a striker, at the tap of your foot?

Power hammers are wonderful and I am surprised to find that some professional shops don't have one, but they can't do everything. I work with a good striker everyday. There is nothing like having some one that can move from tool to tool, help support work to be welded, strike at a 45 degree angle and actually think and look at work from another angle.
I takes time to learn to strike well and more time for a smith and striker to work well together. But when both smith and striker are working well it is a great thing.
I think both Striker and Power hammer are vary important in a large shop.

I have a lot of anvils with several above 400 lbs Nimba Gldaiator = 450 lbs Hay budden = 451 lbs Euroanvil = 500 lbs Brooks = 560 lbs Habermann = 500 lbs. But the one I use everyday is a Refflinghaus 1245 lb anvil on a fabricated stand made from 1 inch plate. If getting a Large anvil I would suggest A double horn style ( even on an anvil as large as mine the square horn tapers down to aproxx 1 inch wide at the tip ) That along with an upsetting block and a side shelf and you have a very versatile anvil. You can do small work on a large anvil but its not so easy to do large work on a small anvil. My demo anvil is a 220 lb Refflinghaus. In my opinion a Refflinghaus is the finest anvil produced today. Shady Grove Blacksmith Shop is the north american distributer and it may be worth your while to check them out.