I Forge Iron

just one interesting looking "DEE" BOONE ANVIL

Neat as it is, wow that price makes me want to vomit, one of a kind eh.. that must mean its the mickey mantle of anvils right?... RIGHT??!? goooo EBAY!!!

Edit: Im also glad he made sure to have a forklift and pallet for that "Big" anvil of 150lb....

Edit2: At least they had the foresight to not list there names the other way around, then it would be the "Do Dee" anvil

i am wondering if he used the forklift to get it onto that scale
and over all i am just glad that other people had more or less the same thoughts running through their heads as i did
and talk about collectable take a look at who's anvil this must have been
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Dee-Boon

It does look interesting. Is it really 1575 pounds? Or is that 157.5 pounds? It is LOOOoooonnng and SPIKY!

the add states
(150-160LBS) THAT WAS BUILT BY DEE BOONE and D O WHITE IN 1976.

could that have been the Tweedle Dee Boone? he had a twin brother if I recall....

I can see use for the comically long horn on the thing, but not for general work. The horn looks very conical, I wonder if the whole dang thing was turned on a lathe to cut the horn!

It looks like there is a parting line between the body and face, so it may be a real anvil with a hardened face. Wow those edges are crisp looking.

Phil

Well on the condition it is rather nice, Im sure I could use that horn for a thing or two like I do my tinsmiths spike.

What bothers me is when you look close, the bick seems to be welded on check image 7. I could be wrong and it could be a good weld.. but when I think about THAT much leverage out on the tip I worry. Then I look at the poor heel and hardy, why out of THAT much length did they put the hardy on the thinest portion! Its almost like they were drawing out the heel and found out they had too much steel and left it there. I think I would snap that thing off with a few strong blows to a hardy then Im out 2grand! ( not that I would EVER spend that on this poor thing)

Edit: Woa! Just took a good look at the heel in image 8, does anyone else see a diagonal line there... like the heel was welded on??? This might be where your crisp edges are from, a total regrind. We joke about Frankenstein stuff but I think this one takes the cake, I dont know but Im guessing, Horn, Heel, Base were all different parts and maybe, MAYBE the main mass was another anvil to start. Im willing to bet if you turn it over you will find the exit to an old hardy hole in original heel, Im so curious now I cant stop thinking about it!

I'd think that since they built it it was welded up from chunks of steel and like all good custom made anvils he designed it to support the stuff he worked on---otherwise it's faster and cheaper to just go buy one.

So I wouldn't want to work 2" sq stock on it but I bet it's a dandy for bits and spurs!

However at about twice the cost per pound as top rated modern anvils it's a bit far out there.

Thomas has hit this right on, Mr. Boone made this anvil for one purpose and that was to facilitate the manufacture of spurs and bits. I don't think you would want to be a working on anything heavier than that kind of stock on it as thin a taper is on that horn anyway. Now is it worth the price they are asking for it? Now that depends on how bad you want to make spurs. Over at Mesalands Community College they teach a class in how to make spurs and other hardware to outfit your customers horse, even how to engrave it. They teach a very good equine science course but they also know that you need a way to supplement your income so they teach you bit, spur and engraving to help you do that. However it takes a lot of spur sales to pay for that anvil! <_<