I Forge Iron

Not an Anvil but could be used for one

I know this isn’t about an anvil, but it could be used for an anvil; but recently I got a steal on a 500lbs swage block I only paid $300 for it. When I picked it up, there was a docking area to help me put in the back of my truck I don’t have that in my shop. I’ve already got the table built for it and now I have no idea how to pick it up to put it on there, two people can’t pick it let alone slide it across the floor. So does anybody out there have any suggestion on how to move it, pick it up and set it on its stand; I’m sure some people on here has bought a 500lbs anvil and had an ingenious way to set it up.

Engine hoist, rent one.

3 friends, you, a 12 pack of beer, some stout rope, and a long 2x4. Use 2x4 and rope to give everybody good hand holds, lift with the legs and not the back, after the set up is done share the beer.

I would not use a swage block as an anvil (regularly) if I had one. they are not meant for that, and do not have hardened faces.

Phil

Rent an engine hoist... Or, if the rafters are solid, a chainfall and rigging straps. the other idea that was posted for a big anvil awhile back was build up 2"x4" pieces, alternating sides, under it with a simple lever/pry bar and slide the table/stand under it...

Think simple tools that you can use to move the swage block. Inclined planes, levers, rollers, block and tackle, etc.

For instance, construct a box girder from 4 each 2 x 4's standing on the narrow side and nail a piece of 16 or 24 inch wide plywood to both top and bottom. This can be used for many things later. Lift the block in the bed of the truck high enough to slide box girder under the block. Now crib up to the end AND to the center to support the girder. Place 3-4 pieces of pipe under the swage block and roll it out of the truck and on to the girder. Pull the truck out of the way.

With the swage secured so it will not roll off the end, lift the girder and remove some of the cribbing from the center stack *fulcrum*. Now move the swage to the center and lift and remove some of the cribbing from the end of the stack. Repeat as needed to lower the swage to the height of the swage stand.

Always remember that swage blocks are notorious for pinching fingers. Count your fingers early and often and be sure to keep them out of harms way.

There is a thread on the site about moving a heavy anvil. The same techniques would apply to a swage block. Take photos of how you finally get the job done so the rest of us can learn YOUR technique.

As mentioned I moved a 500+ pound anvil by 1: engine hoist, 2: 4 burly guys and two pieces of pipe through it's 2 hardies and 3: I used adjustable supports to provide extra help to a rafter and then used a come-along to lift the anvil using that rafter.

Pipe rollers on a couple of 2x6's to move it by myself over rough ground

Engine hoists work well for a 500 pound object. If you have someone with a tow truck, front end loader, or farm tractor with a hoist attachment, those work well too. Having your shop in a farm area or industrial area increases the likelihood of a neighbor having heavy lifting equipment.

Tow trucks are really great for loading/unloading power hammers and other heavy stuff, as they can use their two cables to unload a horizontally positioned power-hammer and flip it upright and through a door frame in one graceful movement. Truly amazing to watch.

I've moved far worse than that by myself. Just remember the 6 simple machines. If you think smart, you'll save yourself a lot of trouble in the long run.

The other day I was given a mint condition Delta Rockwell surface grinder. After some research, it weighs in at about 700lbs. Me and one other person were able to get it into my truck alone. No engine hoist or the like. just a 2X12X8 ramp I always keep in my truck-used it as a fulcrum, and gently tipped it on it's side.

I've loaded and unloaded 300+ pound anvils this way too. use the ramp and just wiggle or walk it up or down the ramp. In your case I would just back your truck up to the stand, put a ramp going from truck to stand and walk it into the stand and call it a day.

Aaron