I Forge Iron

Lighting up the gas forge

Naz

What are you using to light up your gas forge ?
I use a welding flint lighter and sometimes have a hard time lighting up especially when the forge is cold.
I crack open the gas valve and chick,ckick,chick, chick, whooooooosh !!!!
Give or take a few chicks, It can be quite scary at times .
I used to light the forge with a long BBQ lighter and had the same problem.
Anyone have a solution for this ?

I use my propane plumber torch. Good hot flame to reach in to the burner and burns off excess. Also have a smaller butane torch that has its own igniter. First I open tank valve. Then I light the torch and aim into forge THEN, and ONLY then, I open the gas valve to the burner. I have a spark plug and BBQ igniter installed on my blown burner forge but same thing as you described; "chick,ckick,chick, chick, whooooooosh !!!!" OR even BOOOM! Yes, scary, in deed! I have even blown the back door plug (Piece of Inswool stuffed in the rear opening) out!! :o
I have not had that issue since I started using the torch. I have a naturally aspirated forge too and both light without issue using butane or propane torch.

Thanks for answering guys, I went with the plumber's torch.
Lit the forge twice today (with the plumber's torch).
I lit the torch, aimed the fire in the forge and opened the forge valve.
A smooth "swoosh" was heard and I was ready to go !

Thanks again !
Naz

• 2 months later...

The spark plug gets installed in the mixing tube *upstream* from where the flame holder is and so when it lights the fame is blown down the tube till it gets to the proper area.

So in my forge the spark plug would currently be seeing temps below zero F---you get much metal melting at that temp?

The spark plug gets installed in the mixing tube *upstream* from where the flame holder is and so when it lights the fame is blown down the tube till it gets to the proper area.

So in my forge the spark plug would currently be seeing temps below zero F---you get much metal melting at that temp?

I dont think that would work with a ribbon burner. That is what I currently use to power my forge. I am reworking the forge though because borax from doing a crapload of cable has sort of dissolved the insides. I am thinking of having a disposable pan of sorts in the forget this time.

I use the yellow card that ear plugs are packed in, light it, stand it in forge door and then crack the gas.

Why the yellow card ear plugs come in? it does not light very well with cig lighter..... but my patternwelding started to improve when I used the yellow card for the first time to light the forge, the logical bit of me knows there is no association, the logical bit of me also knows that if I use the yellow packaging to light the forge my welding is good that session. Since I always have yellow card from the earplugs I use it! this is how superstitions start :D