I Forge Iron

6 Candle Chandelier WIP

CurlyGeorge

I have a customer wants me to make a 6 candle chandelier, that will also work setting on a table. This is what we came up with.

I used 1" X 1/8" flat strap and scrolled the ends.
post-1549-0-01252100-1316217268_thumb.jp

Since it has three straps, stacked one on top of the other, I had to offset each scroll/leg so that it would set firmly on a table.
post-1549-0-56838100-1316217305_thumb.jp

This is the way it turned out. The center rod is riveted on the bottom.
post-1549-0-12549200-1316217311_thumb.jp

Tomorrow, I will make the candle spikes and the 2 1/2" copper drip pans. I also made a long S hook to use to hang it from. I think it is turning out pretty good, so far. :)Comments or suggestions?

Hey bro, just consider this 1 a mockup trial and error model.
Get it done real nice and puuurrrty looking ........ then ship it here for some thorough in use testing! :rolleyes::ph34r:B)

Then make the 2nd 1 for the customer. :D

(You and your senior moments, hope they aint contagious 'cause I doubt if I have been vaccinated for the condition) :P

Nice design George! I like it. Do you have a balance problem with it when it hangs?
I would be afraid that uneven candles may make it tip to one side or the other while hanging since it is hanging from a central point.
I had that problem before with a two candle hanger.
Mark <><

That's a thought, Mark. This is the first one like this that I've made. I'll let the guy know to watch for that. I had problems with the copper cups. I was going to solder them onto the bottom of the pins. I drilled a hole in each cup, cleaned each pin down to bare metal and still couldn't get the solder to take. I think that I just don't have the right equipment to do the job correctly. So I made drip pans out of black sheet metal. Tomorrow I will weld them onto the pins. :)

OK. Here's the finished project. I ended up using steel drip pans and slipped them down over the pins and welded them on. Mark, I tried to test for the balance. I laid a candle on 3 of the cup, on one side of the chandelier, and left the 3 on the other side without a candle. It didn't seem to tip very much at all. It is pretty heavy and I think that probably made the difference. Thanks for all the comments. :)
post-1549-0-97125700-1316378905_thumb.jp post-1549-0-52396700-1316378918_thumb.jp post-1549-0-09117200-1316378937_thumb.jp

Hey bro, just consider this 1 a mockup trial and error model.
Get it done real nice and puuurrrty looking ........ then ship it here for some thorough in use testing! :rolleyes::ph34r:B)

Then make the 2nd 1 for the customer. :D

(You and your senior moments, hope they aint contagious 'cause I doubt if I have been vaccinated for the condition) :P

Don't worry Trying Guy senior moments are in your future. If that is you don't make a b-a-d mistake somewhere. I've been dealing with Mental Pause for a while now and the best I can say about it is, now I have an excuse.

Frosty the Lucky.

Well, went to the camp for the weekend, and delivered the chandelier. He was really happy with it. But the only candles that he could come up with was 3" diameter candles. The drip pan was only 4". Needless to say that he had some interesting patterns of melted candle hanging from some of the drip pans. :o He hung it over a fairly large table, so no one got dripped on. But he's gonna look for some smaller diameter candles. :)

post-1549-0-41912000-1317083845_thumb.jp post-1549-0-45286800-1317083855_thumb.jp