I Forge Iron

thread the needle tree thingy

This is based off of what PRIMETECHSMITH posted a week or so ago. I saw that and thought it was pretty neat so I decided t have a run at it. I eliminated the base and split out a root system stand. It is very stable and was very fun to make. I tried to extend the slit marks up to creat the "knot" look that he got. It didn't turn out so well. I'm going to try an oversized slitting chisel and see if that gives me what I want. I used 12" of 3/8" square.

Anyway, neat idea and fun project.

DSCF5067.jpg

DSCF5070.jpg

DSCF5071.jpg

DSCF5072.jpg

It took me about 45 minutes on the first try!

Wow, that's really nice. I remember seeing the original thread on this design. I think to get more of the "knothole" look you need to make the hole more oblong. You have it a perfect circle, great for rivets, but not the design you're looking for. Then put in deeper chisel marks above and below. Also, make the chisel marks deeper at the hole and shalowing as they move further from the hole. You could also make the leaf more horizontal and a little bigger and it'd be a cool candle holder. Or bring it more vertial and put on a iris type flower and use it as a nick-nack holder (pens and pencils stuff). Lastly, turn the leaf sideways make it more cupped and turn it into a business card holder.

http://www.iforgeiro...-thru-practice/ This is the thread I was referring to.

Pass through, slit and drift, thread the needle.......I've heard all of those but they all describe the same technique.

Thanks for the complements!

I love all the usefull ideas JFCAT but here's the deal. I've been applying to art stores trying to get my work out there. The reply has been consistant......you don't have any artistic absolutely useless items. They don't want toilet paper holders or even dinner bells. They want stuff that has NO PURPOSE! That's a hard one for me to understand.....here everything has a purpose.

Thanks guys! I've been off at JCC this past week.
I made five! Three with the regular leaves and two with ginko leaves. A store near John C. Campbell just took my work including all five of these branch pieces. One sold before I left! LOL

I've got a while before I open a school frosty! :) I am going to put my name in the hat for little middle week at JCC and also try to get in as an assistant as well.

Well, okay we'll give you a little while before we start looking to sign up for classes Dave. You are seriously talented and have the touch and drive to go with it. You're going far and we'll all be bragging about knowing you . . . back when.

No bull.

Frosty the Lucky.

Excellent piece of ornamental iron work Dave. Let's let the "purpose" be just plain cool stuff to look at. The general public will find it amazing enough that you turned a bar of steel into something like that. Function beyond "display purposes only" not needed. That store and the school is lucky to have your work making them look good. I look forward to seeing more of what you build. Thanks for posting. Spears.

• 6 months later...

I was thinking the same thing this would take me alot longer and not look as good on the first few trys. very nice work.

LOL
It's been a while since I made that piece. After fighting with the split root system for a while I changed that part. Now I use a tenon and textured steel base. I'm not sure that it's faster....may be slower, but it is much more enjoyable.
DSC03862.jpg

DSC03863.jpg

DSC03864.jpg

As far as schooling, there are plenty of more knowledgeable smiths that offer classes at reasonable rates. However, if someone did want to come learn beginning to intermediate blacksmithing, I am up to the task. I've taught classes on other themes before, and blacksmithing would be a lot of fun to teach. I know enough to teach, I have the equipment to do so, and I believe I am capable of being a teacher.
(The only time I have ever stepped foot in a public school was to teach a class. LOL I taught a highscool Civil War History class to kids older than I was at the time. LOL)

For all of us on here that have watched you grow into a fine smith.....From when you first started posting here there has been a constant. You had just came in from the shop or you were going to the shop. Or at times it was both .. What I see as perhaps your biggest asset is that you have persistance! Without that you would not be where you are at,, It shows for sure in this project,,You did not make one and wish it was better,, you made several and refined the process along the way. For those wanting to learn, you again prove that making one thing and settling for however it comes out simply makes a person willing to have a working goal of good. Good is the enemy of excellence! Thanks for sharing and look forward to more of your work.

fab work mr FF! i particularly like that last one - i missed the first thread entirely somehow, but have read it and i will certainly give that a try i have never made any of the pass through things - yours is Beautiful - love the texture on this last one - great leaf too. i will add to what the others have said about your work and increasing general coolness of application :) to say that you have a lovely positive high energy tone to all your posts which i personally really like and find inspiring. class act :)

The big mark on the side is my FFF stamp. I think that one was a first off with the textured base. I forgot to put the mark on the base so I marked the side. LOL I tend to texture heavily on anything with a leaf.

As always, the kind compliments to my work and work ethic are much appreciated. If I have excelled, it is only largly because of the help of each and every one of you all.

Oh and BTW "Dave's School of Blacksmithing" officialy starts Tuesday. If all goes according to plan, there is a local guy coming for a few hours after work to take a short class.
:D