I Forge Iron

What type/size of steel to use

If you are forging by hand alloy steel will make your job harder. 1/2 round will only make the lightest of tongs unless you upset it a fair bit. Even 5/8 round is lacking in the volume needed to make a good solid pair of tongs. There are those who would disagree with me. I feel hot rolled steel AKA A36 is my personal favorite for making tongs. I make my own tongs and I am a professional smith. If you make friends with your local railing shop you can get drops for the price of a six pack or a box of doughnuts.

If you are forging by hand alloy steel will make your job harder. 1/2 round will only make the lightest of tongs unless you upset it a fair bit. Even 5/8 round is lacking in the volume needed to make a good solid pair of tongs. There are those who would disagree with me. I feel hot rolled steel AKA A36 is my personal favorite for making tongs. I make my own tongs and I am a professional smith. If you make friends with your local railing shop you can get drops for the price of a six pack or a box of doughnuts.

I like to use A36 as well. What size would you reccomend? I've been using 3/4" for my latest attempts. Not a pro like you but an avid enthusiast.

I've got family in the oil field, so I get the tag ends of stuff if I want it, I'm not to worried about hydrogen in an open forging area, I'm worried about H2S (hydrogen sulfide gas) impegnated rods. It's a slow painful death, that I absolutely do not want to endure

Sizes I like to forge tongs from are 5/8" square, 3/4" round, 3/4" x 3/8" , 3/4" square, and 3/4" x 3/8" for larger tongs I use 1" x 1/2" and 1 x 3/4". 16" to 20" long for a pair. If you have a power hammer larger sizes become open to you as well. Hot rolled steel should not become brittle if quenched and the handles can be made springy by cold hammering.

Using alloy steel you can get away with smaller sections than with A36 and so your tongs can be quite a bit lighter which for most of us is a virtue! My "heavy" tongs spend a lot more time on the rack than my light ones tending to get used by students who are not as careful as I am with the light ones.

Sizes I like to forge tongs from are 5/8" square, 3/4" round, 3/4" x 3/8" , 3/4" square, and 3/4" x 3/8" for larger tongs I use 1" x 1/2" and 1 x 3/4". 16" to 20" long for a pair. If you have a power hammer larger sizes become open to you as well. Hot rolled steel should not become brittle if quenched and the handles can be made springy by cold hammering.

Ok, so the 3/4" square I've been working on is in line with what your saying. I don't want to forge anything much larger by hand. I don't have a power hammer and I don't see one in my immediate future. Thanks for the information.

5/8 is useable for tongs, upset 1" or so back to beef up the hinge, even if you start with 3/4, you still taper the reins smaller than the 5/8 size . Higher carbon is overall better , but tapering the reins from the same piece is better than welding them on, its a lot more work but the result will never disappoint you