I Forge Iron

Too tight tong rivets

windancer

you set the rivet hot, and this inevitably locks them up. However, once you have the rivet in place the way the way you want it, heat up the plates and rivets again. Holding the reins work the tongs open and closed again and again. This loosens the rivet.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

none of the above paper there would help with a tight rivet at all, I meant that in the book he suggested a piece of paper between the friction surfaces on the pivot points of the tongs lol............... if putting paper between your reins would help with anything I cant figure out what it would be

if the rivet is too tight take the tongs and swing them striking the rivet head smartly on the anvil. Do this several times and it should loosen up enough to allow the tongs to function. No need to normalize 54698 times, quench 33047540 times, anneal 34354507 times or have the anvil horn pointing North at exactly Midnight on the Vernal Equinox and you only need to worry about Grain Growth if you planted Wheat.

I built two sets of tongs last weekend and I do my riveting cold. This was done on tongs having 1/4" drilled holes through the flat sections which are 1/4" thick. I don't chamfer the holes but rather deburr and leave them sharp. I snip a 3/4" long piece of 1/4" diameter low carbon steel and lightly sand or polish the outer surface so it goes through the tongs easily.

Leaving 1/8" sticking out both sides I start by striking in the center of the rivet on the anvil. The tongs will come apart a little at first but are easily tapped back together by flipping the assembly over and keeping the rivet centered. When the tongs start to stay together and lock up I start peening at an angle around the edge of the rivet. This starts to mushroom out the rivet head and light repetitive tapping makes it rounded and attractive. It's simply done with a lighter weight hammer.

Opening up the tongs repeatedly to bottom out tends to loosen them up and let them work freely. If one requires a slight drag or a tighter tong just smack the center of the rivet. Beware if hammered to hard on center it will cause a lock up and can take quite a bit of working back and forth for them to go freely again.

I should probably do a progressive 8-10 picture report of this process but perhaps it won't work the same on tongs with pierced holes so I didn't regard it as a process of popular choice . Good luck with your tong riveting. Spears.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...