I Forge Iron

coal storage

Strip mines remove the top of the mountain to get to the coal and it is left exposed to the elements while being mined. Where coal is mined, and at power plants in this area, the coal is stored outside. Rail Road cars are usually not covered during shipment.

When you see trucks hauling coal they are covered but this is to keep material from falling out and to keep the coal dust from being blown along the route.

When the coal is sent for analysis the BTU rates are higher when the coal is dry (of course).

This is an observation in this local area, and may or may not be the answer to your question.

FYI
A ton of coal is about the side of a pallet and 4 feet in depth (height, tall or whatever).

For an individual this may not be a problem but I remember that when SOFA was building their building on the county fairgrounds they were told that if coal was stored "outside" they would have to collect and treat any water that ran through it---so they built a covered shed instead.

Thomas

Yesteryear,
I keep mine stacked on a pallet on the north side of the shop covered with a tarp. The tarp/north side thing are really just to keep the UV off the sacks so they don't dissolve in the sunlight. I doubt sticks, leaves, and acorns would hurt it much though.

Leaves, sticks, pine cones, sweetgum balls, all of which we have here in East Texas, would not be a problem as they all burn and turn to charcoal. Rocks, gravel, and dirt do not burn and can explode depending on the rock/gravel. Wet coal is not a problem as you are going to wet it anyway to control your fire. I have 2 plastic 55gal drums full of coal now and a pile I built a 3 side "pen" that has about 2 tons of coal. All outside. The 4States Iron Munchers has several tons in a concrete block "pen" outside, uncovered. No problems. The "pen" can be 3 sided or 4 sided and is for keeping the coal in one place. Think LARGE box. Thomas Powers makes a good point with the run-off so a plastic cover or pieces of tin would solve that problem if there is one.

EPA issues aside, will the run-off from a coal pile harm trees and plants?

BTW, I just finished building a neat coal sifter for reclaiming a pile of coal from a 60 year-old basement bin. It was full of all sorts of brick & mortar chips and dust. It's not a real good soft coal, but it packs a lot of BTU's and very little clinker.

I'll post a picture of my sifter in a day or two.

Don

Outside storage isn't going to hurt the coal at all. As for leaves, etc, getting in it, you'll probably be taking it inside in bucket quantity so it is easy enough to pick out the worst of it, or just let it burn up. Locally, we have a 10 ton pile that sits outside and people take it by the bucketful, so far no problems.