I Forge Iron

Forging A Square Hole.

Why drill a hole first? If its for accurate location, mark the edge(s) of the hole site prior to heating, by centre punching them. If you centrepunch at the centre, you can't see to locate your punch accurately

I had set aside trying to punch square holes because I could not find a way to place the holes accurately. I was waiting for you no doubt... Thus, two centerpunch marks at two corners "et voilà"!

Thanks John B.

sometimes the obvious we just don't see.. thats a great idea.. thats why I am here! ..to learn from you guys....plus I don't have an anvil and I have no jig with a pritchet hole... I think thats what it's called... I know the square one in the anvil is the Hardy hole... but I don't have an anvil yet so I'm going to have to get to jig making for what I want to do...... still a green horn ya know.... cheers...

sometimes the obvious we just don't see.. thats a great idea.. thats why I am here! ..to learn from you guys....plus I don't have an anvil and I have no jig with a pritchet hole... I think thats what it's called... I know the square one in the anvil is the Hardy hole... but I don't have an anvil yet so I'm going to have to get to jig making for what I want to do...... still a green horn ya know.... cheers...

You have got a drill, so make yourself a bolster plate to put under your work when punching, (The slug should come out clean without this if you strike it right),

Check out Bolster Plates in Blacksmiths Tools explained, pinned in the tools section.

not sure that I have seen it mentioned anywhere yet, but what are the typical diameters of the holes thru a bolster plate. Are they 1/8" over the dia of hole being punched? I assume that you would want it fairly close to support the work best with minium deformation.

There is no standard size clearance, you need a hole that will support the material as near as possible to the size you are punching.

You have to make sure you are over the hole in the bolster or you will have problems,

1/8" clearance may be ok on a 1/2" hole through a 2" wide bar 1/2" thick but not appropriate for a 1/8" hole in a 3/32" thick hinge.

There is no standard size clearance, you need a hole that will support the material as near as possible to the size you are punching.

You have to make sure you are over the hole in the bolster or you will have problems,

1/8" clearance may be ok on a 1/2" hole through a 2" wide bar 1/2" thick but not appropriate for a 1/8" hole in a 3/32" thick hinge.

Last time I punched 1/8 inch holes in 3/32 (well, it was rather thin steel, but much thicker than common sheet metal) I did it cold on the end of a log.

Phil