I Forge Iron

Forged gun

The last gun discussion we had on the NWBA forum ended up with several members leaving our group (not just the forum, but requested there names be removed from the roster) We lost good guys because of some of the same kind of talk... I wont even go there... Let me just say If we all want to stay friends our gun views have no place on a public forum

From a very pro gun/anti murderer Monster

I'm willing to talk about anything with anybody with out getting upset or closing my mind to what they are saying. I have actually learned a lot by having polite discussions with people I disagree with. I find the willingness to so readily close ones mind to perspectives that don't match their own to be one of the saddest human attributes. I just don't understand the strong emotional attachment to guns. I understand the attachment to tools because my tools are my livelihood I would just be a guy with burn holes in his shirt with out my tools.
Tim

This is an issue that's very important to me, and in a different context I'd have a lot to say about it. But in this context I think Larry's advice is very sound. You may learn a lot from these sorts of conversations, Tim, and that speaks very well of you. But I'm not sure discussions of this sort ultimately contribute to the well-being of this little Internet community as a whole.

The guns can`t do anything without a finger to pull the trigger. Destroying the guns does nothing toward correcting the thinking of the people who would use them as offensive weapons.
If you could do an act of magic and make all the guns in the entire world disappear people would still go on killing each other. Sad but true. :(

yes you are right take England for an example they still have knifes. if you took those away you would have people fighting to the death and no food.just vegetables and mushrooms not cooked. every thing can be used as a weapon. you can not take every thing away. child proofing every thing for adults is not the way to go. do not pad the side walks. should we keep our self in a sterile environment in fear of becoming ill or should we develop our immune system.

yes you are right take England for an example they still have knifes. if you took those away you would have people fighting to the death and no food.just vegetables and mushrooms not cooked. every thing can be used as a weapon. you can not take every thing away. child proofing every thing for adults is not the way to go. do not pad the side walks. should we keep our self in a sterile environment in fear of becoming ill or should we develop our immune system.

I once was hurt by a raw carrot.

For me the fascination is that they all do the same thing, fire a projectile. How many ways can you do that? Many, many, ways.

I like the older WWII on back firearms, and the history that they have. The dents, and dings could tell a lot of stories if they could talk. I have taken a gun that I just bought completely apart just to see how it was machined. The old firearms were made by craftsmen, not cranked out on modern machinery, and simply assembled. I laugh at friends who think you need CNC equipment to make complicated items. I tell them to look at a Broomhandle Mauser, then tell me that. Brought out in 1896 with no CNCs, no carbide cutters, probably not even HSS cutters at that time, or any other "modern equipment". They were made by the thousands by skilled craftsmen. They are a like a jigsaw puzzle inside the lockwork, and the fit up is done beautifully.

I have been around firearms all my life, and grew up on the outskirts of farming areas. I can see where someone who grew up in a city would have a different view. I know people who think owning a car is weird, as they use public transit in the big cities that they live in. I drive 206 miles a day to work, and back, and would take a train--if it were available, and convenient.

Some of your comments though did strike a nerve, but I see them as being made by someone who may not have the experience I have with firearms, and one possibly distorted by what is shown in movies, and on TV. Yes, the basic operation is fairly easy, but to be proficient takes time. A shot at 1,000 yards is not a point, and pull the trigger type of shot. Neither is a 7 yard self defense shot when the chips are down, and the adrenaline is pumping.

Firearms have useful applications other than committing crimes, or killing someone. They are indeed a tool, and like any tool, they can be misused. At one time the most collected weapon in the Oakland PD locker was a baseball bat. They had gaylords full of them.

As to the reverence of firearms. This country was born out of battle, and firearms have been present ever since throughout its history. They have become ingrained into our society on many levels. As many areas became more urban, the utility slowly disappeared while in rural areas it remained.

If you would like to get my opinion on anything else related to this subject, you can PM me anytime. I will not rant nor rave, just give you the facts as I know them, and my perspective in an adult manner. Who knows, you may take up shooting as a hobby when it is all done.

And what'cha gonna do when the Zombie apocalypse comes? :blink:

Yep, Guns, Gods, and Politics can really get things stirred up..... ;)

I used to have an old slab sided Mauser pistol but I traded it in for a Hans Solo blaster :D I don't know that I would take a perfectly good pistol and turn it into a coat hook but I have been tempted in the past to take some of these old military rifles that are pure junk and make a sculpture out of them. You know the ones I talking about the old ones from Italy, Greece, Romania and other small countries that are obsolete, can't get ammo for them, rusted out, bent and broken, basically scrap metal. I could do something with them for sure in the way of an art piece but I just couldn't bring myself to take a good Colt or S&W and stick it in the forge and go to work on unless under duress. :(

GUn shows would be a starting place to ask around, find the gunsmiths there. I have a bucket of rusted barrels that were from a house fire. One thing to watch out for is that the receivers are the restricted item with the BATFE. If it has the serial number that is what they consider the receiver. It doesn't matter to them if it is rusted, or not. If it is able to be assembled it is a firearm to them.

Picked up an old pistol in pieces at the local fleamarket for under US$5 (and was recently give a section of .243 barrel---who shortens a varmit gun????

Pistol went to my SiL who was a LEO and wanted to make a shadow box for his study.

Loss of historic items has happened with swords as well in some of the UK "turn-ins".

• 4 weeks later...