I Forge Iron

Nazel 4b stolen in Seattle Washington

I just got off the phone with Don at Point Sharp steel in Kent, they sharpen jack hammer bits and such… .sometime over the weekend someone came in and stole a Nazel 4B forging hammer that was sitting out side there shop as well as some other big machinery (a big C frame shear/punch is one thing)… . Im sure it is headed for a scrap yard someplace… Since we are spread out I am hoping to put the call out for everyone to check out there local scrap yard if you can… a 4N is about 9000lbs without the anvil (they didn’t get the anvil) and it will be the only one but the serial number is 304 (its on a brass plate that could easily be removed though)

Hard to believe that someone is able to steel something like that with someone not seeing it. $16,000.00 in scrap price was worth the risk to some crack head. I hope they find it and them before the cops get there. It would be fitting to have someone set it on there hands and feet.

Hard to believe that someone is able to steel something like that with someone not seeing it. $16,000.00 in scrap price was worth the risk to some crack head. I hope they find it and them before the cops get there. It would be fitting to have someone set it on there hands and feet.

$16,000.00!!!????? What'er you smoking?

Heavy scrap cast @ maybe .05 per pound X 9000 = $450.00.

It would be worth you all phoning your local scrappers and telling them you will pay minimum 'tripple scrap price' for any blacksmithing stuff or power hammers, they may put it to one side if then dont have selling outlets already, they are business men :blink: !

Grant, the heavy scrap (would prob class as a bit lower grade than 'cylinder block scrap' ) will be paying about £gbp 220 a ton foldy cash price this week, so about $350 per 2200#, well worth a lift with a hiab (so $1600/ is not far off the mark)

hope he gets it back

edit, people are stealing drain covers in the UK at the moment scrap is that high! btw, if you put on a high Viz jacket you can do just about anything without people raising an eyebrow.

Well, I see the mills are paying up to $350 per long ton for "Machinery Scrap". So sixteen hundred broken up. Not sixteen thousand. Think Harold added an extra zero. But the mills are buying from the people we sell to, so we're lucky to get half that.

Wow, #1 prepared (clean steel) is right at $500 long ton. Twenty-two cents/pound! Yeah, the mills are paying about double what I can get from the scrapper.

Never underestimate a tweaker under the influence of high test tweakage.
A gaggle(not sure of the proper terminology for a gathering of tweakers) of the skinny mutants can spirit away a boxcar full of these things and leave only one or two of their flattened brethren behind. <_<

"btw, if you put on a high Viz jacket you can do just about anything without people raising an eyebrow."

You got that right. About a dozen years ago, someone stole a HUGE back-up generator off the pad from one one the bank data processing computer buildings downtown. This site had just been mothballed due to a merger, so somebody knew somebody. Just brought in a crane and a flatbed on a weekend, and no-one driving down the four lane road paid any attention to what was going on in plain sight.

Police no longer respond in person to "property crimes" in our state. Burglary of empty homes and vehicles is a misdemeanor, not a felony , unless guns are stolen. They take your report over the phone or internet, and give you a case number so you can file for insurance. Fingerprinting is for felonies only. I had to look at the police blotter in the paper to find out that my welder and tools from my truck were just part of a string that night in my neighborhood. My dog barking and waking me up was the only thing that kept them from taking everything.

IF you have model/serial numbers AND engrave your ID on the items, AND it happens to turn up on a routine gun check of a pawn shop, you might get it back. No onus on the pawn shop or junkyard to verify where anyone got anything, just an ID check. The same guys show up with crap to sell every week, but the cops can't follow them or trace them, because that would be "profiling" or "harassment."

$16,000.00!!!????? What'er you smoking?

Heavy scrap cast @ maybe .05 per pound X 9000 = $450.00.

Grant, Your right I was smoking some good stuff. <_< I thought about it after I posted it and realized I was wrong and could not get back to change it. I new someone would give me some XXXX for it. :lol: . I was thinking at $185 a ton and it would sell at $50 a ton here as a large bulk item. Sorry :(

IF you have model/serial numbers AND engrave your ID on the items, AND it happens to turn up on a routine gun check of a pawn shop, you might get it back. No onus on the pawn shop or junkyard to verify where anyone got anything, just an ID check. The same guys show up with crap to sell every week, but the cops can't follow them or trace them, because that would be "profiling" or "harassment."

It might be money well spent to go down to the scrapyards where folks like this are bringing the stuff and trade the guy who offloads,sorts the incoming scrap or runs the scales $20-50 for some info.He probably knows who these guys are and where they come from as well as the vehicles they are using to haul it.
It`s not harassment or profiling if a group of private citizens who have been victimized go visit these people and discuss things like the general health and life expectancy of people in their line of work.
Sometimes if you want something done right you have to do it yourself. <_<

• 1 month later...

She never was found... A very good search of scrap yards within hundreds of miles turned up nothing... Police said its common for big items like this to go straight to Mexico or china without ever hitting a scape yard...

I hate to ask but any parts available. Sure could use a standard flywheel gear and guard.

All the spares that are there I get but the flywheel and guard were on the hammer. I'll have a head, broken tup, anvil, guide ring and a motor but I think that's about it. Pretty sure all the compresser side stuff was in when it was taken. I am buying it's sister hammer and will get the other parts with it