I Forge Iron

Anvil with an eagle?

I tried to get a picture of this anvil last week with my cell phone, but that didn't work out. As you can see it's for sale at my local Agway store. If I had the money right now, or could see having in the near future, I would buy it myself. It weighs about 175 lbs - 180 lbs and it's in great shape.

I haven't got any kind of anvil book, so I'm starting this thread to see if it might be worth the asking price. Who sells the anvil reference book that most of you are using?

post-15635-0-06827100-1291688795_thumb.j

post-15635-0-91737700-1291688870_thumb.j

I suspect the anvil is only 150 pounds, as you can see in the photos there is a small 15 on the front of the right foot. If I remember right there is a number on most of the fishers and it states the pounds minus a 0. Ext 10 = 100, 18 = 180. Hopefully some one that owns a fisher will chime in and let us know for sure. But at 450 that would be 3 dollars a pound, kinda pricey for my blood, for not much more you could buy a brand new anvil. if it is indeed 180 it would be 2.5 a pound, sounds like a fair price, the face dose look pretty nice. Try and get the thing weighted to find out the true weight, and I would not let the guy weight it and then just call you, I would want to see the scale myself, Ive had folks knowingly lie to me and try to sell an anvil they claimed was much heaver than it truly was. All in all the anvil looks to be in pretty nice shape!
Good luck

Yes it looks like a Fischer and if it is 150 lbs that would bring it in at $3.00/ lb, if I were you and needed an anvil I would put a deposit and pay it off over time, at $10/ week you would have the anvil in less than a year
It looks like it is real good shape nice edges

Stewart; your reasoning seems a bit off to me; as a gedanken experiment I offer this: recently someone paid over a million dollars for an acre of land in CA; you should jump on this acre I have for sale in NM for only $250,000! Someone over paying for something doesn't make getting it for a lesser but still high price a good deal.

I personally think that Fisher would be an acceptable deal as the face is really really good and Fishers are excellent anvils especially for people with close neighbors. But I would argue from the virtues of that anvil and not the idiocy of other people.

(I use a Fisher as my main shop anvil: 515 pounds cost me US$350 in *mint* condition about 10 years ago in Columbus OH. I consider that it was a once in a lifetime deal; but that doesn't stop me from looking for others.)

Nice anvil! Also a nice albeit slightly bent needle case stake. Poor thing reminds me of some older fellows in need of the little blue pill and no it hasn't been four hours as stated in some commercials. It is not advisable to use sheet metal stakes in the hardy hole of anvils, they are straight sided and sheet metal stakes are tapered which can have undesired consequences. :blink: Just as Senior Thomas.

I've bought and sold a lot of anvils in Vermont and that one is slightly on the expensive side for our location, but the condition is very good. There are definitely cheaper and perfectly functional anvils to be had here, so if you are interested in finding a deal I'd pass. If you want to buy a very good condition used anvil here in VT you will need to search long and hard to find a better one unless you buy new.

This hasn't exactly been my year when it comes to keeping cash in my pocket. And although we just bought a nice used replacement for the microwave that died on us last week our refrigerator just died last night it seems.

I love how kids never think about whether the milk is cold or not. We got a good deal on a little refrigerator with the microwave but it won't hold everything in the refrigerator let alone the stuff in the freezer. Good thing it's been a COLD December so far. However, more money going out than coming in, and I was lucky enough to get an affordable Hay Budden about three weeks ago.

Life is just sooooo fun sometimes. :blink: