I Forge Iron

railroad spike nail header?

connor bachmann

Connor, I did a search of the forum and didn't get a hit. But it seems as though someone in the last year or so posted some pics of a nail header that they made from a RR Spike. I'm pretty sure that it was on IFI. Anyway, you can make a header from the head end of the spike. Bend it 90 degrees to the spike and heat and punch it. Hope this helps. :D

Just a word to the wise, passing on something that I learned only very recently: some Grade 8 bolts are cadmium plated. Cadmium isn't very good for you. Just something to keep in mind.

I am fairly sure that the bolts I used were mechanically plated with zinc. Mechanical plating can be any color under the sun. Both cadmium and zinc can be removed in an overnight vinegar bath, or in a few minutes with muriatic acid bath.

Phil

I am fairly sure that the bolts I used were mechanically plated with zinc. Mechanical plating can be any color under the sun. Both cadmium and zinc can be removed in an overnight vinegar bath, or in a few minutes with muriatic acid bath.

Phil

Understood. Just wanted to mention it for those who might not know.

instead of a spike I used one of the bolts you find along the tracks I cut the dome of the head off and welded a handle on and drilled the hole then then drifted from the bottom and filed a radius on the mouth so the nail will release...works good for me also I cut a section of leaf spring then filed a notch about 3/8 wide in the center with the cutting edge about 1/16 below the surface so it will not cut all the the way through so as not to cut your hammer face.

Phil

Alot of structural bolts used for steel erection are Grade 8 and come unplated. You can get them plain but most come with a black dip coating. It burns right of in the forge just keep your head out of the plume. You usually have to go to a bolt supply house to get them.

Alot of structural bolts used for steel erection are Grade 8 and come unplated. You can get them plain but most come with a black dip coating. It burns right of in the forge just keep your head out of the plume. You usually have to go to a bolt supply house to get them.

Helpful to know. Thanks.
Phil

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

instead of a spike I used one of the bolts you find along the tracks I cut the dome of the head off and welded a handle on and drilled the hole then then drifted from the bottom and filed a radius on the mouth so the nail will release...works good for me also I cut a section of leaf spring then filed a notch about 3/8 wide in the center with the cutting edge about 1/16 below the surface so it will not cut all the the way through so as not to cut your hammer face.

I just recently walked a length of track around my home and picked up a few RR bolts. I was wandering if anyone knew what the markings on the bolt head ment. Im pretty sure it was LB 01. Are the bolts made of the same steel as the spikes? which is to say, is it a guessing game? i was thinking of trying to make a blade with one. As i am new to smithing and i'm only practicing right now for the most part, it doesnt have to be the best quality steel but do yall think they are at least low carbon steel? Thanks!

Don't know what it is but I make lots of neat things from those bolts. Last week Flattened the top of one a bit and chiseled in the lines for a leaf relief.
Get leaf hot and hammer it on to form. No heat treating of any kind. Cut off the stem to about four inches. Just had to dress the wide part under the bolt head a little bit and it drops right in to my 1" hardy hole.