I Forge Iron

Fittings for propane

maddog

For a dissimilar metal connection - iron to brass, etc. look for what are called "di-electric unions". Can be found in many plumbing supply houses. They are often used in hooking up water heaters and water inlets to low pressure boilers. Joins two pipes together and features isolating insert(s) that reduces the amount of electricity created. Two dissimilar metals will expand and contract at different rates creating an electrical charge, usually measured in millivolts (its how they make thermocouples used as temp indicators - dissimilar metals bonded together permanantly). At least that is the way I remember it ... :)

Thanks for the info.

Since it's propane at high pressure, I want to take reasonable precautions to do things right. I slip a piece of that flexible spiral electric cable armor over the hose leading to the tank to protect it from cuts and burns.

Do I really need to worry about dissimilar metals in this case? My set up is indoors and the climate is bone dry. So far I have never seen a trace of corrosion where brass fittings are mated to black pipe.

Do NOT put pipe dope or teflon tape on or near the burner, it will emit toxic fumes at temps much over 400f.

I use teflon sealant on the connections away from the forge and copper pipe and flare fittings on the forge. The only time I've had a leak was the time we were demoing on a windy day and the copper tubing vibrated the brass fitting loose on one of the burners. Made a little flare but not an event. Shut it off, tightened the fitting and went back to work.

Frosty the Lucky.

Do NOT put pipe dope or teflon tape on or near the burner, it will emit toxic fumes at temps much over 400f.

I use teflon sealant on the connections away from the forge and copper pipe and flare fittings on the forge. The only time I've had a leak was the time we were demoing on a windy day and the copper tubing vibrated the brass fitting loose on one of the burners. Made a little flare but not an event. Shut it off, tightened the fitting and went back to work.

Frosty the Lucky.

hmm I usually put teflon tape on the MIG tip since the NF threads dont seal up well. I assume you are talking about flourine being emitted. I dont mean to be contentious. I am just trying to understand clearly. With the quantities involved should one worry? Flourspar is used in ceramic work and also sometimes for forge welding. Teflon coated cookware can get overheated on the stove. (Not that I have ever done that but it happened to a friend of mine :) ) Is the pipe tape worse?

Yeah, flourine is pretty toxic and accumulative in effect. Overheating (smoking) a teflon pan is a good way to check out permanently. Flourine is also one reason I don't forge weld SS; maintaining the phosphorous and calcium levels in your bones is important to avoid floppy syndrom.:blink:

To avoid needing pipe dope don't tap the 1/4" x 28 FPT for the mig tips so deeply. Stop tapping at a point where the mig tip will stop before reaching the shoulder. If the fittings leak at this point it doesn't really matter as it's inside the burner and will just richen the mix slightly, zero chance of an accident.

Frosty the Lucky.

Just a note about all this dissimilar metal fittings on lp gas. Here in NJ in the student shop the gas inspector told me that using dissimilar metals of any kind was against code. When I pointed out that the burner orifices were brass and some copper and the feed lines were black iron all I got was a blank stare!!! :blink:

I can't necessarily back this up with data and I know myself included often fabricate against what is specifically recommended and I have done this myself, but I have been told by more than one knowledgeable party that sweat soldered copper fittings should NOT be used for LP.