I Forge Iron

need help forging tools

What kind of tools? So far you have asked for THOUSANDS of pages of information.

May I suggest you pick up a copy of Alexander Weygers "The Complete Modern Blacksmith" which contains the contents of his earlier book "The making of tools"

"Practical Blacksmithing" Richardson has a lot of tools in it too especially ones for forging plow points and other late 19th century items.

Both of these can be easily ILL'd at a local public library if you live in the United States of America.

Do a search under the tool section of the forums and you will find a wealth of info on everything from hammers to punches to chisels and tongs. That would be a good place to start. You haven't told us anything about your smithing experience, so it's kind of hard to give a better starting point. Welcome to IFI. :)

An old book has been invaluable to me, "The 20th Century Toolsmith and Steelworker" by H. Holford. It tells how to forge tools of high carbon steel for the various trades. Just now, I found 8 copies for sale at dealoz.com, the most reasonable being $35 plus shipping. If I were starting out, that would be cheap at twice the price. Buying a good book is like buying a good tool.

http://www.turleyforge.com Granddaddy of Blacksmith Schools

I can help here.

Get a piece of steel the right grade, get it hot and take it to the hammer and hit it until its the right size and shape, then stop. Stopping is the most important part otherwise you will make it the wrong size and shape.

you can thank me later.

Phil

I can help here.

Get a piece of steel the right grade, get it hot and take it to the hammer and hit it until its the right size and shape, then stop. Stopping is the most important part otherwise you will make it the wrong size and shape.

you can thank me later.

Phil

Yes beginners never know when to stop :rolleyes:

It took me a while to learn to "Stop".

There was always just one more tweek that I need to ...., Dang it! Start over.

In striving for perfection I most often went beyond where I should have stopped, right to scrap. I have since tempered my quest for excellence.

But, even failure is a learning experience, so...... I'm learning a lot. ;)

Mark<><

I'm still a beginner as well. That said I couldn't agree more about realizing when it's time to stop. However I seldom toss it in the scrap if gone to far unless I burn it up. It seems you can always see a forging exercise left in that material whether it's a hook , a twist or a nail. When I say it's scrap it's scrap. :)

Dick

make a center punch, drawn down from a heavier section taper sq with the corners knocked off spend some time getting it to a set size ,not what it lands up at ,as a early lesson you will learn a lot from it, and that tool will be with you for life ,learn to walk first,we all had to ,some times we break into a run only to fall, jobs done at a early stage if rushed dont look too good the following day.