I Forge Iron

Chrome Vanadium

I've got this old 1/2 inch drive 15 inch long ratchet that I managed to destroy this weekend. I'm wondering if I could forge the handle into something. Mainly I'm worried if there are any health and safety issues with heating the metal.

I was thinking the handle would make a great handle for a knife, then forge the blade out of the shaft of the ratchet.

Here's the ratchet in question.
d_939.jpg

i dont believe there are any reasons that it should be harmful if they are in alloy with the steel, what i am sure of is that any chrome plating on the tool HAS to be removed before heating it in your forge. chrome is a heavy metal and as such is very dangerous in vapor. though i am not sure how to remove it :(

but i think you should take a peice once you de-chrome it, and test the heat-treat

Ed Steinkirchner

No need to grind. just reverse the plating process, immerse in muratic/hydrocloric acid and conect to your battery charger or to a spare car battery much like rust removal but using acid instead of washing soda!
Ian

You beat me to it! I recommend copper anodes. The ratchet to the positive I think. You may not even need to use electricity.

Isn't there usually a layer of nickel under chrome plating? I say this because of something I read a couple of years ago, that nickel sticks to steel and chrome sticks to nickel better than chrome to steel. Just trying to clarify this fact, not speak gospel truth.

Isn't there usually a layer of nickel under chrome plating? I say this because of something I read a couple of years ago, that nickel sticks to steel and chrome sticks to nickel better than chrome to steel. Just trying to clarify this fact, not speak gospel truth.

Actually,What used to be called triple chrome plating or "show chrome" is copper,nickel and then chrome.
Many old tools(especially woodworking) were just nickel plated and you will see the nickel peeling off them.The copper worked like a primer and provided a better bond than the nickel alone.
The chrome you see peeling off aluminum is chrome alone or "flash chrome".A special type of nickel was used under the chrome to help it bond to the aluminum.Some car and bike builders used to eliminate the copper on chrome plated steel exhaust pipes in order to minimize heat bluing but they found the same problems with peeling showed up.
All this from my years spent as a gear head and a short stay in a chrome plating shop.
I favor stainless steel now for my bouts with the bling monster. :unsure:

Removing the chrome into an acid solution will produce toxic waste - not a lot, but something I'd hate to just dump down the drain. Couldn't you just get a piece of traditional stock material for your knife - say, an old file - and turn in your ratchet to recycling?

No toxic waste? the chromium/nickel/copper plate the anode, the acid stays relatively clean for re-use. After use responsible chaps neutralise with lime and do'nt just pop it in the drain.
Ian

Are you guys sure it's a plating?
Absolutely definately positively sure it's plating. No question. Can tell just by looking, since the chrome-vanadium steels don't shine up like that without rusting over time. Chrome plating shines up like that without rusting over time.

Maybe there's good knife steel under the chrome. Maybe not. Knives and wrenches sort of have different mechanical requirements.

That ratchet is made from a CR-V steel and it is plated as well---or else it would be rusting!

As for making knives well is it the same Cr-V alloy? there are lots of them---think of it like mushrooms; a lot of them are edible; but I'd not assume anyone I found was edible!

Also---many people make knives from RR spikes when that isn't a real good alloy for knives.