I Forge Iron

heat treating CRS

Yes... case hardening. Is there a better, and best, or are they all pretty similar?
I have heard Kasenit mentioned more. I was given a bunch of cold rolled, made this blacksmith helper out of it.
What is its specific usage?

Thanks

Case hardening will give a harder, wear resistant working surface whare it is treated

Case hardening will give a harder, wear resistant working surface where it is treated

One more question... are these( carborizing compounds) made for friction or impact? I'm sure it would help either way, Just beating this horse some more

Thanks

Don't forget to weld a "button" for your hammer to hit, think a 2 inch cube or cylinder or whatever shape you have in your scrap bin. This will prevent the struck end of the die from deforming as much and as quick.

Phil

Thanks Phil, that wasn't on my agenda.

Case hardening is for wear resistance and won't do anything for impact resistance.

CRS is low carbon and will serve if what you're forging is hot enough but will wear out sooner than you'd like. However it's better than no dies and if you play it right will pay for a set of high carbon forging dies so think of them as a bootstrapping your way up set.

Frosty the Lucky.

Like I said, case-hardening could help somewhat. Not a lot. It might not be worth the the expense of finding and buying compound just for this. Keep an eye out for some heavy truck leaf spring you can flatten for new dies after these wear out.