I Forge Iron

cable and extra

junker

I watched a video a few months back on this..I can't remember who the maker was but he stated that some folks thought cable damascus was "boring" so he placed a strand of nickel into the pattern while forging and twisting the cable (careful to keep it away from the edge cause nickel won't temper or sharpen well)..that's all I can remember about it but I believe the maker was located somewhere in Texas...maybe u cud try googling it or go on the bing search engine...

Gene

It is a common practice for Bobby Rico to mix cable with damascus in many various ways. I have even seen some ha has made that looks like he has bamboo between the layers of cable. His web site is http://www.ricoknives.com/Welcome.html He is a great guy. I looked on his web site to try and get some pictures but I could not. It is hard to get him on the computer but if you call him I am sure he will email you some pics. Just tell him Lyle told you about him. He makes beatiful knives and sells them too cheap.
I am not trying to advertise Rico knives, he is a great man and is willing to help anyone, he spends his time hunting, working knife shows, or making knives.

i decided to try it out. so i took some cable i had laying around and welded it. i drew the cable out to 1/4in. x 1/4in. and cut it into 6, 4in. sections. i then stacked it with bandsaw blades and welded the stack. as i was welding the stack the centermost weld didn't take and as i was straightening it it folded on top of itself. so i just decided to go with it and welded it together like that. after i finished welding it up i decided to give it a really severe twist to see what it would do to the pattern, when i was almost finished with the twist either a weld popped loose( or i just didn't have it welded together properly, probably that one) and i had to re weld it as i drew the twist square again. i plan to draw it down to 1/4in. x 1in. and however long it'll go. then ill cut it into appropriate lengths and weld it in a stack with "knife steel" (unknown steel sold to me from acme industrial surplus, although it is both quite hard and very springy). ill then give that a very light twist and then make it into whatever knife strikes my fancy :P

I am just curious to know how you will heat treat the blade that contains " unknown knife steel"? With layered steel I like to use steels that are real similiar in wot they like for heat treatment. For instance I never mix steels that like to be quenched in water with those that prefer oil. I do really like that yoiu are trying things new to you and hope you keep a log of wot yoiud o and how it works oiut. That log will be like gold in the future when you either want to make something again like you already have or do not want a repeat. Lots of learning in the shop..soiundlike yoiu are spending time there and that is great.

I am just curious to know how you will heat treat the blade that contains " unknown knife steel"? With layered steel I like to use steels that are real similiar in wot they like for heat treatment. For instance I never mix steels that like to be quenched in water with those that prefer oil. I do really like that yoiu are trying things new to you and hope you keep a log of wot yoiud o and how it works oiut. That log will be like gold in the future when you either want to make something again like you already have or do not want a repeat. Lots of learning in the shop..soiundlike yoiu are spending time there and that is great.

Hopefully his billet will be large enough that he can take 2-3 "stamps" off to practice heat treating and determine what is best. The stamps should be roughly the cross section of the blade, and big enough to manipulate easily.

Phil

good idea, although i do know that all steels included in this billet are oil quenching(thank god lol)as i have made a crude knife out of the "knife steel" a while back. with just the cable and bandsaw steel it's around 1ib, i plan on doubling it with the other steel, i have a very strong suspicion that it's in the 10xx series because i cleaned up a piece and etched it and it came out this incredibly dark black, looked just like the pic of the etched 1084 i saw posted on here somewhere. although i worry that if it is 1084 or similarly high carbon the billet might be a bit too high carbon for anything that sees alot of stress, probably make better kitchen knives or something

Ive welded a fair bit of bandsaw blade and enjoy its superbright pattern, Ive done a bit of reading up online and found that the backing steel used for bi-metal blades can contain upto 4% chrome, which explains its reluctance to weld sometimes! :blink:

Right Phil, it's low layer. What I find intriguing about it, if ya look at the dark bars, that is the cable. The little tiny squiggly lines in the dark sections is aband of pure carben, so I am told. It's a product of the extruded strands. Makes it loojk like you have double the layers.

I don't see the pattern in the dark bands, even blowing the image up on this machine. It is still a beautiful blade.

Phil