I Forge Iron

Calibrated Eyeball

Donaven

I got 7.66 and a 233 time. I think if I did it again it would be better. I was completely wrong on one. Brian Brazeal is the one I want to do this. He has an amazing ability to judge lengths. I would not worry to much about the time, just see how accurate you can be. Thanks for posting this Donaven.

neat, i got 12 first time round, was confused what was meant by parallelogram and let go of mouse twice so tried again and got 5.9 and 248 time, which isn't too bad seeing as i'm using my left hand to work the mouse. i bet there will lots of good scores on this site!!!

4.95 average over three runs in a total of 236 seconds. I hurried a couple of them a bit. I think I could've done better if I slowed down. Mabye I'll try again later.

The "best of the last 500" feature is pretty scary. Someone scored a 1.87 in 46 seconds? How is that even possible? That's near perfect at about 2 seconds per puzzle! I hate prodigies. :)

LATER: 3.79 in 174. OK, now I really have to quit! :lol:

Like most everything else,the more you apply something(practice) the better your performance.If you don`t use a perishable skill for a while then you become less effective with it.

One thing I found really helpful as a "sanity check" is a pair of large dividers.Once I lay out a job I usually check key points for errors with the dividers.
One example is finding center using just dividers and a straight edge;I just set the dividers to a random measurement that`s larger than half the width of the piece.Mark down from each corner and make a mark on the edge on each side.From that mark I swing an arc from both sides and where those arcs intersect I strike a line with a straight edge and the line will be dead center with no measuring involved.
Many times I have the job layout done without ever measuring anything while my helper is still looking thru the book for the geometric formula or trying to find the calculator. :rolleyes:

5.4 in 114 the second time. The first time was about twice as bad because I misunderstood the "point of convergence" problems. But the first time I think I did better on the "make a right angle" and "bisect the angle" because I didn't hurry as much. Neat brain exercise :)

Looks like I did best with the right angles .9, .5 units. Will probably do better now that I know how it works.

Being a machinist I am constantly having to check angles, centers, etc. On quick jobs it is done by eye instead of indicating.

My Dad was the one who could freak people out eyeballing sizes. He was a machinist, and a nuclear pipe prep instructor at Mare Island Naval Shipyard after 24 years in the military. He used to take a pair of dial calipers and turn them so the student could see the dial, but he couldn't. Then he would ask them to give him a dimension. He could set the calipers within a couple of thou of any dimension they gave him. That is what 40 years of practice will do for you.

Looks like I did best with the right angles .9, .5 units. Will probably do better now that I know how it works.

Being a machinist I am constantly having to check angles, centers, etc. On quick jobs it is done by eye instead of indicating.

My Dad was the one who could freak people out eyeballing sizes. He was a machinist, and a nuclear pipe prep instructor at Mare Island Naval Shipyard after 24 years in the military. He used to take a pair of dial calipers and turn them so the student could see the dial, but he couldn't. Then he would ask them to give him a dimension. He could set the calipers within a couple of thou of any dimension they gave him. That is what 40 years of practice will do for you.

Are you sure he wasn't counting? Remember the original point and count to the new point? Still a heck of a trick any way you look at it.

Phil