I Forge Iron

Probably nothing new but...

So I was reading the post for mason jar lanterns when it was first put up and the idea struck me to seek other "found items" to use as candle holders. The old glass insulators that graced the power lines of yesteryear seem to complement iron very nicely when turned upside down and wrapped. There are so many different types that you can get pretty creative depending on the shape you start out with. I haven't sold any yet, but here are a couple of first tries. Getting the iron to fit the glass is tricky, but most of them have a groove around them (originally intended for wire) that fits 1/4 inch stock pretty well. You can still find these things around, but it kills me to think how many potential products I destroyed with my BB gun as a kid!

post-6932-058022100 1286567909_thumb.jpg

I have 100 glass insulators and have been waiting for inspiration, something to do with them. They are larger than those used by the OP and most are clear glass. I've mad a few candle holders but haven't been happy with my design. Thanks for the ideas.

I have 100 glass insulators and have been waiting for inspiration, something to do with them. They are larger than those used by the OP and most are clear glass. I've mad a few candle holders but haven't been happy with my design. Thanks for the ideas.

Hemingray 34's? (Looks like the ones in the big group?)
post-14529-051694400 1286674631_thumb.jp

Hemingray 34's? (Looks like the ones in the big group?)
post-14529-051694400 1286674631_thumb.jp

Now there's a man who knows his insulators. :D

Nice work Joe, great idea. I have one only, dont think I could get more, but it's given me an idea for one of our mantles. I too use to shot them out in the bush where they were still attached to disused poles, we used to get as far away as possible and use a .222, mostly across valleys so any misses would just strike the hill behind.