I Forge Iron

Post Vice with a Hole Instead of a Leg

Eric Farrar

So, A couple weeks ago I was going to a pawn shop to sell a bunch of excess tools (the wife says I have to lighten up SIGNIFICANTLY before we move back to Idaho around Thanksgiving)… and of course I had to walk around a bit and see what was gathering dust… I saw a post vise (note: I don’t have a post vise and have been keeping my eyes open for over a year for one in the area…)
post-5889-099779000 1285298793_thumb.jpg

Okay… so the leg was missing…. Appears to have been sawn off then a hole drilled and tapped in it’s place… I can’t quite get a match on the TPI, but it is 11/16ths of an inch or 3cm…
post-5889-051830600 1285298901_thumb.jpg

The screw box just needed a little cleaning – it looked pretty good in the pawn shop and even better after cleaning... Jaws are 6” and there is just a little side-to-side play. The screw is in great shape too...

Since the pawn shop was just being plain stingy with their cash, I traded for the marked $150 on the vise instead of taking the $50 they were offering me for over $600 worth of brand new tools.

I took her home and cleaned her up, where I found a few markings…
6LV5 on the main leg, 6LV2 on the moving leg, and 6LV13 on the mount… I’m assuming that means 6” Leg Vise, part 5, 2, 13…

post-5889-079541400 1285298949_thumb.jpg

I flipped her over and found what may be manufacturer markings on both legs: "JB" Anyone have a clue about this manufacturer? Doesn't matter too much cause it is stout and will meet my needs but I wouldn't mind to know.
post-5889-013068900 1285298969_thumb.jpg

She cleaned up pretty good and now I am just trying to figure out how I want to mount a leg to her… I was thinking about tapping it to match some ¾” threaded rod I have or use a ¾” grade 8 bolt… The mount plate is 19" from the missing leg and the total current height is 24" - I'm pretty darn short so my anvil is at 29" .. only need to raise her up about 10 inches for where I want it.

My question… What would YOU do to mount it?

where in Idaho you going? I am from and have family in southern Idaho around Twin Falls

Heading back home to Boise now that the Army is done with me an says I'm too broken to stay in any more... Been blown up too many times and trained too hard... Hopefully I'll be able to get a job fixing the machines that make microchips at Micron Technology since civilians don't have many missile systems to fix.

That is a cool vise! Looks to be cast steel from the picture... I would thread a chunk of rod and upset the other end and make a foot and put it to work!

Definitely cast... raised letters gave it away for me... Gotta re-tap it to something usable... since I don't have any 11/16th it's gonna have to be 3/4"... I've got some 3/4" 1045 that needs to be put to use before it rusts away.

Eric:

Cool vise, the JB is ringing a bell but I can't place it, maybe when I'm trying to think of something else. I agree, chase and retap the hole to something you can use and put it to work.

My sister lives in Nampa, Maybe Deb and I'll look you up next time we're down.

Thanks for serving and no getting blown up anymore.

Frosty the Lucky.

Definitely cast... raised letters gave it away for me... Gotta re-tap it to something usable... since I don't have any 11/16th it's gonna have to be 3/4"... I've got some 3/4" 1045 that needs to be put to use before it rusts away.

How did you measure the diameter? You do realize if you're using a caliper that you're measuring the root diameter not the OD, right? Very hard to measure a female thread accurately without plug gauges (or bolts).

It's not one of mine, but the initials JB used to be on anvils etc from Joseph? Baker, now part of Baker Vaughns, that is known as Vaughns.

I have a similar one that fits on the front of my hearth, the top fitting being bolted in place to the hearth, and the bottom end locates in an angle piece bolted to the hearth leg, The hearth itself is quite substantial.

You could mount it to a bench this way.

Frosty - please do look me up when you visit your sister!

Grant - I did think about using a plug to get the exact TPI on the threads but they are so stripped out that there's barely anything left to try to measure. Callipers gave me the 3cm or 11/16"

I'll post some picks once I get her operational - hopefully before my move.

If you go with a threaded leg locked by a jam nut it will make it more versatile.
You could rig it up as a wagon vise or use it like Young Dylan does to add mass to an assembly while upsetting without having to deal with the leg being in the way.You could also make up an adjustable tripod mount and short leg to quickly put it at anvil height.
Lots of options with bolt on features. :)

Thomas, thanks for the info! I kinda like the nostalgia of knowing the history of my tools...

Tim, that's pretty much the idea I'm going to go with... Just don't expect quite the result that those two made... For starters, my welder is a POS from harbor freight I picked up for cheap at a pawn shop... 90amp max that can barely handle a 3/32 rod!

I have the hole re-threaded to 3/4"x14tpi and have a 6" grade 8 bolt 1 1/2" deep in it that I'm going to weld to a piece of steel plate for the foot - then it is going to get added to my anvil stand after I extend that another 18"...