I Forge Iron

Learning from home

Try the books you can download from this site, they give all the information you need, Its the hard way to do it, nothing like having guidance in front of you and learning at least the basics to put you on the right road.

There may be a smith or group nearer to you than you think, put in your location and you may be surprised at the response.

Good luck

Well you could start by putting your general location into your profile---might be a great smith local to you!

Assuming you are in America look at www.abana-chapter.com/ and see if there is a smithing group near to you. One Saturday with a good smith will save you 6 months or more trying to learn on your own.

There are a lot of good starting books: The Backyard Blacksmith, The Complete Modern Blacksmith, etc that can get started. ILL them from a local library and decide which one(s) work best for you and then see about buying your own copy---Mine of The Modern Blacksmith has dirty thumb prints all over it from standing at the forge with the book in one hand and the tongs in the other...

Jeffrey: Learning the craft yourself is doable, I did it but there're better ways. As already said, an afternoon with someone will save you months of figuring it out yourself. Look for a local club to join or someone close. Books are always good to have and it'll really flatten up the self teaching curve.

Lastly, as already said several times put your general location in your profile. Most smiths are pretty friendly sorts usually willing to help someone who really wants to learn the craft. Heck, most of us are really friendly even if it IS because we're always sweaty and a bit ripe.:rolleyes:

Oh yeah, there is the resource you found on your own, most of us are talkative sorts and willing to answer questions, make suggestions or make something up for the new folk.

Frosty the Lucky.

I am a self taught smith and would consider my skills to be intermediate. For the time I have spent at it and would have taken some classes I would be much farther along than I am.. I have never taken a formal class. I have always wanted too but I never had the funds or if I did never had the time. Search out your local guild, go to hammer inns and conferences, make friends with a smith near you. I have a great library full of books and dvds and you can learn alot from these, but others are right when they say take a class if you can. A one week class can equal 6 months of frustration.

Huge thanks everyone I live in Vermont, I know of only one school in the state and frankly I unfortunately do not have the time to be able to invest in a regular class schedule I know that sounds like a cop out but to be honest the way I work I do not have the time I would love to have to drive over an hour each way for a class, smithing for me for the forseeable future will be something I will really only be able to do in my spare time.

While I am aware of the hurdles in front of me doing this as a self taught thing at present I do not see any options, now if there is someone in the state that would be willing to do things on a less than regular schedule that could be a negotiable thing.

Hey Jeffery, I'm also new to Blacksmithing. I am finding that trial and error and practice have been my best teachers. The knowledge that is available to you on this site is amazing. There are so many people here that are willing to share their knowledge it astounds me. Like many have said, read all you can and seek out a smith near you. Schools are great but nothing beats hands on training from a master. Good luck!
Mark<><

Try to contact Shelburne Museum, if you're in the chittenden county area. If you're in Southern VT, i know there is a smith in Woodstock/Queechee. You're not likely to find anything in the way of professional education, but I'm sure there's someone in the state willing to pay for your labor with knowledge and experience.

Hello
I am planning on starting my forge hopefully in the spring, but I have zero ability to be able to go to a school to learn blacksmithing. Are there any resources that could be recommended for someone who really has no option but to learn from home?

Many Thanks.

yes,
your here. This forum is like the branches of a big assed tree, if you take the time, you can travel and learn buttloads as you make your way along the branches.
welcome

if you got youtube and a big bag full of pdf books, i dont think you will have much trouble at all.

some books on one of my sites for you as well..

http://www.blacksmiths-australia.com/index_files/Page412.htm

and if you want to make a bender and bits

http://www.chopperhandbook.com/neatstuff/downloads.htm

mostly, do it safely and have fun