I Forge Iron

What could this be?

Looks like a Vegas pattern anvil. They are typically big on the top, narrow waist, and small feet ;)

Look for signs of the top being artificially enhanced after it left the factory. If it was the working surfaces will react differently than ones that are OEM. Personally I prefer the OEM ones, but others prefer the upgraded versions. Just depends on the intended use.

Looks like a Vegas pattern anvil. They are typically big on the top, narrow waist, and small feet ;)

Look for signs of the top being artificially enhanced after it left the factory. If it was the working surfaces will react differently than ones that are OEM. Personally I prefer the OEM ones, but others prefer the upgraded versions. Just depends on the intended use.

Don`t think it`s a Vegas,no stilleto heel,strap across the ankle or chain around the waist.
Older Vegas are always heavily painted.
Vegas models usually come with a LOT of additional accessories,a pre-nup agreement being the most important for the new owner(and his estate).

Looks like a Vulcan to me too, especially the shallow step between face and horn and the angular run up to the heel rather than curved.

Vulcans tend to have thin faces so check it to make sure nobody has ground or milled it too thin!

They are quiet anvils and so should "thwap" rather than "Ring" when tapped with a hammer. Good for suburban or city use.

They are not a top tier anvil so please do not pay top tier prices for one!

Will you be at Quad-State? Probably 50-100 anvils for sale there!

I am thinking of going to Quad State. Just need to see how the money looks :)
The guy sold this anvil for 40$ and I never got a chance to look at it cause he held it for the first person who contacted him. I am still keeping my eyes peeled for a anvil around Michigan, but they seem to be a bit rare up in these parts.

Quad-State---the biggest annual blacksmithing wingding! Held in Troy OH, (small town north of Dayton OH) the last full weekend of September, this year Sept 24-26.

http://www.sofasounds.com/conference2010/2010index.htm

I'm driving about 1500 miles (each way) to go to it in an un-airconditioned pickup without cruise control....

How heavy an anvil are you looking for?

I am looking at around 100 - 150 lbs. I got one lined up around the house here, but I am kind of leary. It has a few chips on the face that can be repaired and he's asking 150$ for a 100lb anvil. There still seems to be quite a bit of usable face on the anvil, but the edges aren't all that great.

Quad-State---the biggest annual blacksmithing wingding! Held in Troy OH, (small town north of Dayton OH) the last full weekend of September, this year Sept 24-26.

http://www.sofasounds.com/conference2010/2010index.htm

I'm driving about 1500 miles (each way) to go to it in an un-airconditioned pickup without cruise control....

I hope you have a safe trip there and back. I'm going for the first time this year. Maybe I'll see you there.