I Forge Iron

4 Ton Electric log splitter?

ledson

Yeah, and what did those hydraulic splitters run on? Steam? Even the little 4 ton "electric" is hydraulic. Yeah, I know; some are gas powered hydraulic. I have one, Ryobi I think. One problem is the two-hand control. You'd be amazed at what you can do with 4 tons and fullering dies though.

Yeah, and what did those hydraulic splitters run on? Steam? Even the little 4 ton "electric" is hydraulic. Yeah, I know; some are gas powered hydraulic. I have one, Ryobi I think. One problem is the two-hand control. You'd be amazed at what you can do with 4 tons and fullering dies though.

Yep,the ones I was looking at were gas engine powered.
I was thinking that a 4 ton electric splitter would be one of those "Harry homeowner" jobs with the screw driven wedge that splits the wood.Try forging with one of those and the magic smoke will escape within minutes. <_<

• 1 year later...

All the successful ones I`ve seen were hydraulic not electric and were a lot more powerful than 4 ton.

I own a hydraulic log splitter but its a hydro eletric splitter, and i was wondering if i could use that some how as a press, the ram has a flattish head that forces the log to the wedge thats a solid angle thats made onto the frame

I own a hydraulic log splitter but its a hydro eletric splitter, and i was wondering if i could use that some how as a press, the ram has a flattish head that forces the log to the wedge thats a solid angle thats made onto the frame

Depends on how many tons it rated at.

Make some dies that are rather narrow, 1 or 2 inch width, you can get some work done...the question is "how much" 4 ton isn't much, but if you are working small pieces with small dies you can generate the necessary pressures.

The result may not be practical.

Phil