I Forge Iron

are nc anvils any good.

Buy it. You may be limited on how heavy of work you can do but this will do the job on light work until you find that BIG anvil. BTW, say Thank You when you get it, he is giving you a good deal!

ha i got it for 100 bucks and it is like new give me a few and i will post pix.

Man you better make something REAL NICE for him or "may the horn fall off the anvil"! That's great! It should serve you will.

i also got a fisher anvil not sure of the weight yet but i think it is around the 200 mark but the face of it is cracked off so i guess i will have to resurface it. got it for 75 bucks now i just need to get my forge built so i can use them.

DSC_2486.jpg

DSC_2509.jpg

DSC_2511.jpg

DSC_2507.jpg

Man you better make something REAL NICE for him or "may the horn fall off the anvil"! That's great! It should serve you will.

here are some pix of my first forge ever. i have bin hard at work on this thing i just do not know what to use for a blower. so far i have 8 bucks in the building of this thing. i think she is looking sexy so far.

DSC_2516.jpg

DSC_2520.jpg

DSC_2527.jpg

DSC_2529.jpg

• 5 years later...

Look up NJAnvilman here on the forum, he runs the Fisher Norris museum. That appears to be an early Fisher with the square logo. Before you do anything to it do your research. They have a cast iron body, so they are not just a run rod to build up type of anvil.  Look closely under the heel area for other marks,and DO NOT use a sander, or grinder to clean it up. A wire brush will do fine, and not destroy the markings.

Ethan, that is a turning hole for horseshoes, that is a farriers anvil. Here is a page on the features it has.

http://www.nctoolco.com/proddetail.php?prod=0207

• 7 months later...
On 6/25/2010 at 6:19 PM, Thomas Dean said:

Buy it. You may be limited on how heavy of work you can do but this will do the job on light work until you find that BIG anvil. BTW, say Thank You when you get it, he is giving you a good deal!

Would it be able to smith knives on? I'm in the market for an anvil. I found an NC anvil on centaur forge and am thinking about picking it up

Have you googled bladesmithing anvil and looked at the images of all the folks just using a large piece of sq stock as a knifemaking anvil?

A lot of folks think they have to have a london pattern anvil to do blades---at least till they watch the sword smithing section in "Living Treasures of Japan", (its on youtube), and see what an expert katana smith uses...

On 11/28/2015 at 7:19 AM, Ethan Stone said:

so guys whats the point of the giant pitchl hole?

Thanks, Ethan.

Ethan,

It's a turning hole.  Farriers stick one end of the horse shoe into the hole and bend the shoe.  I'm not a farrier so I use it for drifting holes larger than the pritchel.