I Forge Iron

First Come, First Serve

mr. stewartsmith,
in reference to the post vise you mentioned, how available are springs and back plates for these? is it an easy fix?
thanks

Springs can be made from mild steel or leaf spring, the mounting plate can be made from an exhaust U-bolt until a better (read more historically accurate) one can be made. The spring is within the skills of a new weekend smith (possibly with help or advise)

Phil

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Stewart,

I am looking at the Hay Budden 300 Pound Anvil on e-bay. I am new to the sport and looking to buy my first anvil. I built a little brake drum forge and I have been using a chunk of railroad iron thus far.

Anyway the anvil looks pretty beat up. From what you can see looking at the pics is this anvil worth $300-$400? I have family up that way and I could pick it up from the store so I wouldn't have to pay for shipping. I am thinking I should go for it, just because I haven't seen a 300# anvil in this price range.

Anyway if you get a chance to reply before the auction ends I'd like your 2 cents.

By the way, thanks for posting all these anvils. It has been great to have so many links in one place.

Francis

hufe hay budden on ebay, looks pretty decent...........My link

If I lived in washington state, I would jump on this with the quickness........this is a big beautiful anvil at a steal of a price My link

That looks like a nice one - has a similar profile to my Ajax - long, thin heel and about the same dimensions. I'd guess 250-300 lbs. sounds like a great price.

one heckuva bargain in new hampshire My link

Well i like that people are havig such an easy time down there in the states lol. im up here in ontario canada and i have been forging for close to a year and a half and still have had no luck getting an anvil all i have is a 25lb princess auto anvil. all the anvils iv seen within a 100mile radius are up to 2.5-3 dollars a pound, but i guess i cant complain because i get 2000lbs of coke (burnt down coal) deliverd to my door for $600 (25 cents a pound and 100 dollar shipping

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Pretty serious fisher http://cgi.ebay.com/Fisher-Norris-200-pound-Blacksmith-Anvil_W0QQitemZ200555858125QQcategoryZ13869QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D10%26pmod%3D110619234587%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D5722867269793519326

Vermont CL- basic kit incl. anvil forge vice etc. http://burlington.craigslist.org/tls/2127313522.html

By the way Stewart, this thread was a great idea! Should be a great help to newbies who are on their toes.

Searchers can ignore this one, I already bought it. Good deal for a near mint Fisher :P http://burlington.craigslist.org/tls/2114338661.html