I Forge Iron

found this

I found this listed on ebay and thought it might be good for a portable anvil maybe for the ocasional craft show. As I am new to this and craft shows are a long way off, can anyone advise me? is this anvil any good or even worth buying. My idea for a craft show portable setup Is this anvil set on my 4x8 trailer next to a brake drum forge. the hollow in the bottom of this anvil has me wondering. advise?

I hate to bust your bubble but that is pure junk! It's hollow, there ain't nothing there, no masss to pound on, it'll break apart, just junk cast iron. Sorry for sounding so harsh but they are scamming you, I have seen that same anvil on eBay in about four different colors, green, black, rusty, and now red. It's just some junk from the Far East that they are suckering people into buying as an old anvil. You would be better off with a 16# sledge hammer head in a bucket of concrete than that thing, sorry. <_<

Run in a zig-zag pattern as fast as you can and do not look back.
Not even 6 pounds (and hollow), we use hammers heavier than that.

We can help you get a real anvil but need to know the following. Where are you located, how heavy an anvil do you want, and do you have $2-$3 a pound to invest?

RUNNING AS FAST AS I CAN!!!! i figured that was the case, I just wanted a second opinion incase my uncalibrated eyeball was mistaken. I actually have a few large sledge hammer heads my grand dad had in his shop before he died. I guess i'll find a way to mount one of them. like I said before, I'm interested in making a setup for craftshows but I have a lot to learn before I can about not only forging techniques but also the business side of things. Needless to say I have a long way to go before I can reliably make any money from this. or have the ability to show off anything. thanks guys.

http://chattanooga.craigslist.org/grd/1725037276.html

found this listing for a portable forge in my area. he wants $300 for it. I spoke to this guy a few weeks back and he still hasn't sold it. I think he's asking too much, what do you guys think?

I would say that was high. I bought 2 good sized forges with blowers;Buffalo $100/$125 IIRC, and a Champion $75. Hard to remember individual prices, as I ended up clearing out an estate. Filled the Dodge 3500 bed for $825 with 2 forges, 170#HB anvil ($175), tongs $3-$5 ea, hardies $3 ea, hammers $5 ea, fullers $3-$5 ea, 1/4 barrel of coal,2 dutch ovens, etc. and a 14" Hobart buffalo chopper with meat grinding attachment on a SS cart for $100 (probably the best score of the night).

Keep watching Craigslist, newspapers, garage sales, flea markets, etc. Deals are still out there, but you need to keep your eyes open, and have the cash ready.

found this listing for a portable forge in my area. he wants $300 for it. I spoke to this guy a few weeks back and he still hasn't sold it. I think he's asking too much, what do you guys think?

If that blower works with NO hiccups at all and the pan isnt rusted through $225 is OK. Beware of the Buffalo Forge blowers as they are rather cheap stamped parts, the gears may be missing teeth.

Small setups were often intended for light use and so wear faster than large ones. A blower that you have to crank continuously is a real pain when you are forging. Give some thought to making a forge and buying just a good blower. Forges are dead simple and can be built without even a welder!

BTW that wasn't a blacksmith's anvil, made for the basement or garage shop to straighten nails on. Calling it a blacksmith's anvil is like calling a yugo a racers race car.

Ive tried to talk the guy down on his forge, he's ben posting it daily for a few weeks now. I told him I would pay $100 as is with just seeing the pictures. he said no. the price was firm. I have a feeling he is going to hang on it it for a while.

My forge is a brake drum forge mounted to the top of a 55 gallon drum. so yea pretty simple to make one.

lol. as for the yugo um, uh, i mean anvil My anvil is a railroad car coupling knuckle so I have no experience with anvils.

I run across "deels" like these all the time, the only problem is I know nothing of values, anvils, or condition. so either I;m unaware of a price that is laughably too high, I don't know what too look for in condition, or I don't know if it is a descent anvil(or a yugo).

For those reading this, no I don't want to buy any swamp land in arizona, and I'm not in the market for a bridge in brooklyn. lol

thanks guys

But that bridge in Brooklyn must have tons or real wrought iron in it!

Now take a deep breath and repeat after me "a rr coupler is a real anvil; just not a London Pattern one".

a rr coupler is a real anvil; just not a London Pattern one.

I believe you a real anvil is anything that can be used as an anvil. can I reconsider the bridge sale, but it must come with a bill of sale from the government.

by no experience with anvils, I am only refering to no experience with "london pattern anvils" as concerning their value or condition.

oh did I forget to mention I can't type or spell...I'll attempt to improve on that

I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure you could learn most of what you need to know about anvils by reading the threads here in the anvil section. If you still have any questions after you read all the threads, ask em here and I am sure you will get your answers.