I Forge Iron

Clay Tire Hammer

I have ordered plans from Clay and I am wondering if anyone in or around Georgia that knows where I might obtain a 6 inch round x 32 in. to 36 in. long solid stock for the anvil ? The best price I have found is in Gainesville GA for 300.00 and that is just too much at the present. Living in Atl you would think I could find an old railroad car axle or carpet roller but I haven't succeeded yet. I even made a pretty fair effort while I was up in Chattanooga.

If you dont want to shell out the cash then maybe look into a fabricated anvil out of several pieces of plate, they showed a sketch of one over at anvil fire. Dont know if its cheaper but 1 inch plates prolly more abundant than train axle. 1x6x32 six of em sandwiched together gives you 6x6 @ over three hundred pounds.

Come up to KY! Whatever you decide to go with, solid round or sandwiched plate, would cost you 25 cents per pound. I'm also building that hammer and have been browsing around the scrap piles (and they are huge scrap piles) for some 6 inch. Yesterday they had some 7 1/2 inch solid that was 24 inches long. it was 300+ lbs so your talking $75. You could pay gas to get here and still come out WAY cheeper! You could make a run up to my steel supplier up here and get everything you need as far as regular steel. Tubing is 30 cents/pound and everything else is 25 cents/pound. You wouldn't have to worry about selection either! I think they'd have everything you need! Plate, tubing, flat, round, square! EVERYTHING!

Dave

Although I was told it wouldn't work, (check my signature ;)) I stacked several round discs for my anvil. To eliminate as much dead space I put them under pressure in a hydraulic press and welded them together. To make it look pretty, I put a tapered section of light pole shaft over it and welded to the top and base. This didn't turn out as tall as I wanted so I topped that with a 5" x 5" x 10" square cut from 5" plate. It is welded on end and my dies bolt to it. I know not everyone could or even would do it this way. It just happened to be what I had available; all scrap from the place I used to work. My point is, you don't HAVE to use a solid round piece of stock. Improvise, adapt, and overcome :)

post-38-1272081706747_thumb.jpg

post-38-12720817078425_thumb.jpg

I have some 6 X 18 X 1/2 in. thick plates. I was thinking of welding them together to make a 24 x 24 x 1 inch thick base. Thanks for the suggestions guys, I may just have to formulate my own method as suggested. Great looking hammer Dodge.

I had very little luck here in north Alabama when searching for large round or square solids. Down near Birmingham places do have available large solid bars, but they are "for sale" not "on sale". I was rather opposed to having to "stack up" material for my anvil block, but then the local steel fab company here in town treated me very fairly after I told the man what I was trying to do. He had some 2" X 13" solid bar lying around and charged me a reasonable "cut charge" to saw the blanks. This method works extremely well and I now own an air hammer with a 700lb anvil block on a 440lb base plate. On the contrary, it took a tremendous amount of "by myself" labor that I wouldn't wish upon anyone. IMO if you spend the money and buy the post exactly what you need I think a hammer ends up with more of a "store bought" look. If that's anything you care about. Good luck. Spears
post-9545-12722938110976_thumb.jpg post-9545-12722938240817_thumb.jpg post-9545-12722938398761_thumb.jpg

I have ordered plans from Clay and I am wondering if anyone in or around Georgia that knows where I might obtain a 6 inch round x 32 in. to 36 in. long solid stock for the anvil ? The best price I have found is in Gainesville GA for 300.00 and that is just too much at the present. Living in Atl you would think I could find an old railroad car axle or carpet roller but I haven't succeeded yet. I even made a pretty fair effort while I was up in Chattanooga.

Chris Milligan
770-654-9131
He is in Gainesville and can get everything. I am making a Clontz hammer myself.