I Forge Iron

Cool Knife!!

primtechsmith

my junkyard steel list shows connecting rods from cars to be 1040 steel or plain carbon steel with 40 points of carbon. It also shows connecting rods from trucks to be 2340 which is an alloy contining 3.5% Nickel and 40 points of carbon. Either one has 10 points more carbon than a HC RR spike that many people turn into knives. Interesting idea for a blade anyway.

Woody

Cool knives and anvil shaped objects: second things first. You can buy an anvil shaped object for alot less money than yuo will spend for one that is correct for the usage. The ASO"s just don't work out as they are not the correct material for the task. Now to the first thing. Cool knives. I like the look of those knives in the pics but then I temper that with some thoughts: If you research steels that are correct for knifemakeing and compare the the steels in knives similiar to the ones in pic you will find a mismatch. Theer is a differernce in composition. One that should be considered ..especially if you are new to knife making. An experience hand like Billy Merrit can do amazing things with steels That a new person may not be able to duplicate. For someone getting started you are best off learning how to move metal, what metal does when it is hot and spend a lot of time on heat treating and some shop practice with that. Then to improve you success rate start with simple knife steels that will make you look good. I prefer new steel but there are sources of used steels you can learn a lot from. Good solid basics pays off forever. research from reliable sources makes it easier. Have fun

And that piece of steel in a bucket of concrete IS AN ANVIL---just not a london pattern one. It's also a lot better than a cast iron lump that bears some resembelance in shape to a london pattern anvil.

Most of the world forges on anvils that don't look like a london pattern anvil---but are not cast iron.

Thomas
Thomas

• 3 years later...