I Forge Iron

New you tube video

Dave,
Great video, you make it look easy! Kudos to your camera person. Like your trailer/forge - are those tool boxes on the side away from the camera??
Tim

Video, complements of my lil brother.

Yes those are tool boxes......and I'll be selling that trailer I think.....possible buyer??? ;) LOL

Dave

One of the comments is very good though, why WOULD anyone bother to "dribble" their hammer on the anvil?
It seems to me that the anvil is a tool face, just like the hammer is. And one never hits two tool faces together, do they?
I have yet to hear a single, good explanation as to why some blacksmiths do that.

That's a fine demo Dave.

My only comment is in reference to the curly cue end, it's more commonly called a "finial scroll".

As to drawing the long taper, that very subject is being discussed under the thread "Split Ends". Two reasons I see for your taper NOT splitting at the end are: #1 3/8" rd. being worked at a nice bright yellow heat will be penetrated to the center by lighter blows and not "pipe" on you. #2 you're using a goodly weight of hammer and hitting it good and hard, this also penetrates to the center of the stock and prevents "piping."

In the thread "Split Ends" the prevention of piping and fishmouthing are being discussed. Starting a taper with a short square taper at the very end of the bar helps a lot. Working at good heat is also important. If you start making long tapers in thicker stock you might want to consider starting by tapering the end and then moving back.

I'm more pleased than I can say to see you're billing yourself as a company. Darned if that doesn't make me think of another suggestion. As you were speaking at the end of your demo you mentioned your web site. It made me think you should've had it on a sign either hanging from your trailer or covering the tire.

It makes me proud to know you.
Well done. Frosty the Lucky.

One of the comments is very good though, why WOULD anyone bother to "dribble" their hammer on the anvil?
It seems to me that the anvil is a tool face, just like the hammer is. And one never hits two tool faces together, do they?
I have yet to hear a single, good explanation as to why some blacksmiths do that.

To quote Frank Turley, the answer would be "Rest, Rythem, and Rumination"

Really nice demo, Dave. It touched on a lot of the little details and technical points too. I always had a lot of trouble with that little finial scroll :) and everybody kept telling me to not hit it in the same place twice. That helps keep a nice even radius.

As for the "dribble" of the hammer over the anvil, it is much less harmful than one thinks. First, the amount of force exerted by the hammer on the anvil is no larger for tool steel than for mild steel. This is a very common misconception. The force only depends on the height of the drop, weight of the hammer, the speed of sound in the hammer, and geometry of the face. It depends also on the length of the hammer. Now, although tool steel is much "harder" than mild steel, the speed of sound is no higher, since it only depends on the elastic modulus and poisson ratio. Check wikipedia if you are in doubt B)

So, if it is not harmful, why do people do it? Not everybody I have seen does it. Brian Brazeal does not, but a lot of fine demo smiths do. In fact, even strikers tap the anvil intentionally. I asked one person why he did it. He replied, try hitting just like I do, but skip the little synchronizing anvil taps. I did, and I noticed that the accuracy of my blows worsened without the small rest. He said, now can you see how you could make a mistake if you just keep wailing away blindly like that? Ummmm, yes, but couldn't you just slow down, I answered. He said, to each his own. Hmmmm, sounds fine to me.

One other smith told me that it acts as a little rest, especially for those smiths who grip their hammer too tightly. The practitioner knows he will be tapping the anvil, so he loosens his grip, which allows the hammer to settle into a more productive position. The fellow told me that when he sees a student doing this, he will try to snatch the hammer away at the top of a blow. If he cannot easily pull the hammer out of the student's grasp, he will tell the student to lighten up a little.

To kill the devil.

That's a really nice vid! :)

in reply to spikeknife i find that for ME dribbling keeps the rhythm B) and you don't have to comletely stop when your thinking...that's why i do it but what is fireyfurnaces opinion on why he does it...in fact, if YOU (the person reading these words) dribble the hammer please reply and say why....it might be quite interesting...anywhoo I'm babbling so...

alec

Apart from giving you a second or two to think, it resettles the hammer in your hand, realigning the faces of the hammer and anvil. it also keeps hammer and arm moving so that you don't lose the rhythm. I find that I only do it while using a flat faced hammer; full faced and peening hammers are for rougher operations and don't need so much accuracy or thought (and are more likely to cause damage).

I find that I do not dribble the hammer hardly ever during regular forge time. I do believe it is a nervous habbit for me, akin to saying "um" during speeches, and I do it on the videos and during live demos. I do think it helps keep rythem and I do agree that damage to the anvil face and hammer face would be sooooo little as to be unnoticable for many, many years. I do think that it is not a definate DO or a definate DON'T in proper hammer technique. Then again, besides a couple of lessons at Mr. Eddie's shop, (gallop forge, Thanks Eddie) I have never had any instruction in "proper hammer technique." I just try to make sure I don't grip tightly! The way I judge this is I start hammering with my hand choked up and hold it loosely enough for it to slide to the end during my hammer time.
I think that the best way to hold the hammer loosely enough, is to use a power hammer! LOL

Thanks for all the comments guys! And Frosty you got to lay up on the comments a little! You're liable to puff my head up real big! LOL :lol:

And remember, I'm wanting to sell that trailer this summer with a bew coat of paint on it so be watching and saving!

Dave

I think that the best way to hold the hammer loosely enough, is to use a power hammer! LOL

Thanks for all the comments guys! And Frosty you got to lay up on the comments a little! You're liable to puff my head up real big! LOL :lol:

And remember, I'm wanting to sell that trailer this summer with a bew coat of paint on it so be watching and saving!

Dave

Now what do I say Dave? I was going to agree about the best way hold a hammer lightly but . . . I wouldn't want to make you buy a new hat or anything.:rolleyes:

Frosty the Lucky.

Good video Dave.

Blacksmithing is one art, the ability to teach is another. It appears you have been gifted in both.

Keep on learning, and keep on sharing what you know.

And keep tapping you anvil ;)

Don

I find the dribbling annoying because of the "ring" associated with it. I already have too much noise going on.

Ear defenders?

I was self taught and had never seen another smith in action whilst I was learning. I just found myself bouncing the hammer on the anvil automatically without knowing why I was doing it. I since found out it's to keep the rhythm going as you adjust the work and it feels real strange if I don't do. Also if I don't do it, I'm nowhere as effective at the anvil. As Joe Public says "strike when the irons hot"; keeping the rhythm going means your'e getting more blow in whilst you can.

I think Brian Brazeal makes the point somewhere that it takes more energy to stop a hammer moving than to keep it going

I guess all you nay sayers should watch this video. About halfway in look at the magic he works on the anvil. Pure poetry in motion + my inner geek just loves the sound he makes when forging ... including the "dribbling"

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=YLhwJch4hSY

Great video Dave! What a great way to see what you really look like demonstrating in front of the public. People love to see someone that obviously knows what they are doing. We are blacksmiths and craftsmen but in front of the public we are showmen. It's hard to talk, answer questions and work at the same time. Good work!