I Forge Iron

leg vise with a stamp from Warren OH

caver95

The Iron City Tool Works of Pittsburgh made leg vises and other tools, and the company was acquired by Warren Tool Corporation of Warren, Ohio, in 1958. For a while, they continued to use the Iron City logo which was IRON CITY stamped inside of a six pointed star. Warren Tool also made blacksmiths' hand tools stamped QUIKWERK.
Reference: "Directory of American Toolmakers" ed. Robert E. Nelson, Early American Industries Association, 1999.

You can seldom make out a Peter Wright stamp because it is in small stamped letters on top of the screw box. It says P. WRIGHT; PATENT; SOLID BOX. It most often gets obliterated with use and rust.

http://www.turleyforge.com Granddaddy of Blacksmith Schools

• 9 months later...

The Iron City Tool Works of Pittsburgh made leg vises and other tools, and the company was acquired by Warren Tool Corporation of Warren, Ohio, in 1958. For a while, they continued to use the Iron City logo which was IRON CITY stamped inside of a six pointed star. Warren Tool also made blacksmiths' hand tools stamped QUIKWERK. QUIKWERK was also marked on SOME OF their manufactured leg vises.

Reference: "Directory of American Toolmakers" ed. Robert E. Nelson, Early American Industries Association, 1999.

You can seldom make out a Peter Wright stamp because it is in small stamped letters on top of the screw box. It says P. WRIGHT; PATENT; SOLID BOX. It most often gets obliterated with use and rust.

http://www.turleyforge.com Granddaddy of Blacksmith Schools

Hey Thomas, If you can post a pic of your car I may be able to help. I was pretty good at playing "what kind of car is that?" when we would go to mexico where the burned wrecks were left upside down on the side of the road. It is easy to remove the running gear if the car is not on top of it. :P
Rob

Hey Thomas, If you can post a pic of your car I may be able to help. I was pretty good at playing "what kind of car is that?" when we would go to mexico where the burned wrecks were left upside down on the side of the road. It is easy to remove the running gear if the car is not on top of it. :P
Rob

Yer kinda askin` a lot of the old curmudgeon.First he has to flip it over,then he has to burn it,then remove the running gear and THEN take a pic so you can guess at what kind it is!
Wears me out just thinkin` about it.
How about he just drives it over and leaves it?After you figure out what kind of car it is just stuff it in a flat rate box and send it back to the grumpy old coot. :)

No Bob, I wasn't suggesting he do that to his car. I was trying to say that if a car can be ID'd upsidedown and burned then his should be easy if it is only missing its badges. ;) I get that he is tired of people just asking for ID info without even a picture of the item. Seems most of these people are not able to search the site and see the answer to the question they are asking. I will hope that they are new and do not know that the same question has ben answered many times before, not just lazy. OTOH It would be kind of fun to destroy a car again :D
Rob

Well I do have a vehicle with an odd "badge" Modified by the folks who last owned it and used it as a rather spartan touring bus for their rock band. It's 4 letters and rather rude....(they abandoned it at a friends house when after a local gig they couldn't get it started and had to make their next gig. After 10 years my friends had to move and their landlord refused to let them leave it; so I asked for it as a storage shed---I *own* the short bus now! And yes there is a mystery. I have not found a VIN number on it yet and the bus company doesn't have records from that early---they actually told me that the serial number I gave them was incorrect as I was reading it off their nameplate on the bus)

What I am generally trying to point out is that if you wanted information on a car you would *expect* to provide Make, Model, Year, Condition, etc. Blacksmithing equipment is no different; we shouldn't have to play "Twenty Questions" when *they* are asking *us* to help them!

I have a 4" leg vise with a stamp of Warren OH, there is some other stuff but I cant make it out.
Anyone have any idea who produced this vise?

I dunno Thomas, it looks to me like he gave you all he has to go off of. It sounds like the question is if we know of any blacksmith tool companies that were based out of Warren, OH. Wasn't there a Warren Tool Company?

You are the first one to readily admit that there were numerous makers of leg vises, many of which were never marked with the makers name. The fact that it is stamped with this bit of information is more than many other vises. Your 'Twenty Questions' might only yield a couple of answers.

What I am generally trying to point out is that if you wanted information on a car you would *expect* to provide Make, Model, Year, Condition, etc. Blacksmithing equipment is no different; we shouldn't have to play "Twenty Questions" when *they* are asking *us* to help them!

Just do what I do Tommy,push away from the keyboard,go make a nice cup of tea and then when I come back I click on the next post.
What possible difference could it make if we can tell you what brand,year ,page number in the catalog,etc something is?
Things like anvils and leg vises either work or they don`t.If they don`t work then knowing who made them isn`t gonna help ya get replacement parts now is it?
Use it till it wears out then throw it in the forge and make something else out of it.
Moving on now.NEXT!