I Forge Iron

Thinking about this anvil

I'm just starting out and found a 122# anvil for $200 with the help of Glenn. Being so new I don't know what to look for in an anvil. I'm hoping someone here can let me know if this seems worth it (I'm using a chunk of RR steel so shouldn't take much to upgrade from that).

Thanks in advance!
post-11722-12659009434579_thumb.jpg
post-11722-12659009501085_thumb.jpg
post-11722-12659009580099_thumb.jpg

An anvil should have at least a small area which is smooth and flat, preferably over the meaty bit. There should be at least an inch or two of sharpish corner on either side. The rust looks so thick on the face of that one that the tool steel may have rusted through. I know that anvils are expensive and hard to come by in parts of the US but in the UK that would be scrap.

Find out if there are markings stamped into it anywhere. They do no need to read them, but just confirm that there are numbers and/or letters present.

I doubt that the face is rusted through. There might be pitting and such, but that is generally ok. Tap it gently with a hammer and see if there is a clear ring, and if there are any dead spots. Rattles are very bad, thunks are marginal. It should sound similar wherever you tap it.

Show up with crisp greenbacks and see if a lower price is accepted. The edges are not great and it has been dropped on its horn at least once. It looks like a plenty serviceable anvil to me.

Don't forget to have a little extra cash and ask if there are any other related tools they wish to part with.

Also don't be afraid to walk away if the anvil is in very poor condition when you get to see it.

Phil

Remember the IBA conference is usually in early June as I recall and will probably have anvils there.

It would be nice to see this anvil to a good home and at closer to $1 a pound it would be a decent deal particularly if there were any other tools as "boot". Ask about a swage block, cone mandrel, etc.

And yes tapping the anvil is a good test on that kind!

It sure doesn't look like the best of the lot but see if you can get the price down. I'm thinking like the rest of them that $200 is over priced but it is better looking for that price than the Vulcan that sold out here for $200 by a long shot. Thomas gives good advice to wait until the conference in June. Conferences are usually good places to pick up anvils and other tools. Also you don't have the fact of it being his "late grandfathers" anvil, that always makes the price higher even if the object for sale isn't worth additional money. If you can put off your desire to hammer hot iron until then it would be good to wait.

I would do this. Tell him that after showing the pictures to some other smiths that the consensus was that, for a smithing anvil,it was in rough shape for that amount. Let him know that you have some interest in it, but at a much lower price due to the work required to get it useable again. Leave your contact information, and let him know that if he cannot sell it, to let you know. If he asks how much, say around $75. For $75 I would get it myself. At that price, and some time with a belt sander, and a welder, you could customize it some, and not worry about ruining a nice anvil.

I would do this. Tell him that after showing the pictures to some other smiths that the consensus was that, for a smithing anvil,it was in rough shape for that amount. Let him know that you have some interest in it, but at a much lower price due to the work required to get it useable again. Leave your contact information, and let him know that if he cannot sell it, to let you know. If he asks how much, say around $75. For $75 I would get it myself. At that price, and some time with a belt sander, and a welder, you could customize it some, and not worry about ruining a nice anvil.

This be good advice.

Bob

$75 might be insulting low. I'd say go to $100 if you want to go for it. Otherwise pass.

Insultingly low, depends on how you look at it. Is his price insultingly high?

In all of the years I have been wheeling, and dealing car parts/machinery/and general stuff, I have never worried about insulting someone with an offer. It is just that, an offer. Sometimes it is accepted, sometimes not. I have seen items sold at an end of a swap meet for less than half of what was being asked in the morning. A lot depends on the offers presentation. If it is done with some tact it goes a lot smoother than being crass with it.

Insultingly low, depends on how you look at it. Is his price insultingly high?

In all of the years I have been wheeling, and dealing car parts/machinery/and general stuff, I have never worried about insulting someone with an offer. It is just that, an offer. Sometimes it is accepted, sometimes not. I have seen items sold at an end of a swap meet for less than half of what was being asked in the morning. A lot depends on the offers presentation. If it is done with some tact it goes a lot smoother than being crass with it.

I agree with you and stand by what I said, if that makes sense. I've also done quite a bit of horsetrading usually to my good. I've found that some folks who you could otherwise get to a reasonable price will shut down if you don't appear reasonable with your initial offer. As you say depends on how it's done and who's on the receiving end.

Go for the insultingly low offer, nothing ventured, nothing gained, but do it nicely too. He can do no more than say no. Continue on with your search for your perfect anvil. You know that two anvils are always useful, one on the floor for upsetting big stock and the other to stand up and forge on, if you do manage to get this one cheap. I think your right to pass on this one as you main shop anvil.

There are no insulting offers, just insulting attitudes. You can't say, "I wouldn't give more than 50 bucks for this POS" and expect someone not to be insulted. It'a whole different story if you say, "I really want to get started in blacksmithing, but times are tough right now and all I can afford is 50 bucks".

I bought a rusted and damaged junk anvil like that for $10 at the scrap yard and sold it on ebay for $49. I consider both prices to be fair for their respective venues. No way I would pay closed to the asking price for this anvil. Just wait and keep looking. Great deals come to those who wait and look.

See archived auction

http://yabe.algebra.com/~ichudov/misc/ebay/English-Anvil/ebayhist.html

i