I Forge Iron

finally got it started

Well this is the first time I used my forge. I made this "fire poker", any tips will be greatly appreciated. The fire got the metal to a bright white, I was useing char-coal. And please dont laugh at my little anvil, thats what I had laying around the shop. I will make a better one and/or improve this one (there was just a little wobble HA HA).

post-8518-12632553761753_thumb.jpg

post-8518-12632553904219_thumb.jpg

post-8518-12632554050406_thumb.jpg

post-8518-12632554137768_thumb.jpg

post-8518-12632554269505_thumb.jpg

post-8518-12632554410141_thumb.jpg

post-8518-12632554560117_thumb.jpg

post-8518-12632554634265_thumb.jpg

Well this is the first time I used my forge. I made this "fire poker", any tips will be greatly appreciated. The fire got the metal to a bright white, I was useing char-coal. And please dont laugh at my little anvil, thats what I had laying around the shop. I will make a better one and/or improve this one (there was just a little wobble HA HA).

Well what can I say James? For one thing I like your poker. The handle has a real organic look which I like. Your obvious enthusiasm is impressive.

The 'anvil' .... well that's another story ... but you already know that. I would suggest giving the 'anvil' a little more solid support at the very least. I would keep my eye out for a chunk with a little more mass/weight than the angle iron and find a stump or similar to mount it to.

But overall I think you did a pretty good job with a bare minimum of tools. Keep up the good work. You're forging!

Bob

Now that is a minimalist approach. Congrats on a great start. I suspect that your equipment and skill will grow in direct proportion to each other. Looks like you have plenty of room for a large scrap pile so forge away and just hide the mistakes. Better yet, post them on poles and make an arrow pointing towards a neighbor’s house.

Nice starting setup! Your forge is better than the one I started off with. But I would suggest finding a piece of railroad rail to use as a cheap anvil. I'm sure a lot of people start off with one. (I know I did, though I have no idea where it came from.) attatch it to a large tree stump, and there ya go. Also, invest in making a pair of tongs. I made my first pair when I was 12 or 13, and I still use em. They don't gotta look pretty, just be functional. Good luck in the future, you've got a great start.

Great little forge. Well made and thought out.

You are right about your anvil, it would wobble a lot. If the angle iron is all you have at present try making your frame into a sawing horse so it is at least more stable. That arrangement will buy you some time while you find a good chunk of iron for a more solid arrangement.

While forging try not to go to bright white, a good orange/yellow will do for mild steel.

Cheers

That isn't a bad set up James, sure plenty of room for improvement but that describes me to a "T". Nice looking poker too, well done.

An anvil will really help too, what you're using lacks mass. Keep your eyes open for something heavier a piece of shafting or RR rail will be an improvement you'll appreciate. Shafting works very well stood on end, the more iron/steel under the hammer the better. A bucket of concrete is dandy for keeping shafting on end and still mobile. works for RR rail too.

Frosty the Lucky

• 2 weeks later...