I Forge Iron

What do you guys think about this unit?

Mulciber

200amp Tig Welder/50amp Plasma Cutter/Arc welder,IGBT NEW! - $800 (delivered)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PowerUltra 205
Category: DC Cut Tig Arc (MMA)
Purpose: DC Multi-Function Welding/Plasma Cutting Combination Unit
200 Amp rated DC TIG (GTAW)
190 Amp Rated Stick (SMAW)
50 Amp Plasma Cutter (PAC) with Pilot Arc
Technology:
Genuine Infineon IGBT based electronics
Operating Dual Voltage:
208/220vac 50/60HZ Input Single Phase 1PH
50amp cut draws 25Amps
Open Circuit Voltage: 60-80V
60% Duty Cycle @ Rated Amperages
Thermal Overload Protection
Weight: 40
Size: 17x8x12 inches

Plasma Cutting Specs:
3" Per minute @ 7/8" Steel (Severance Cut )
7" Per minute @ 3/4" Thick Steel1
7" Per minute @ 1/2" Thick Steel Minimum requirement for air compressor: 3.5 cfm

50 Amps Plasma cutter: Duty Cycle 60% at 50 Amps

TIG and Arc Welder

200 Amps DC Tig Welder: Duty Cycle 60% at 200 Amps
190 Amps Stick Welder: Duty Cycle 60% at 190 Amps

High Frequency Start
Post Flow:0-20 Seconds
2 T/4T setting for foot pedal or torch control
Internal High Speed Cooling Fan to Regulate Temperature.

What is Included?

Main Unit
Cutting Torch
TIG Torch
Stick Holder
Earth Clamp
Air Regulator with Bracket
Air Hose
Foot Pedal
Argon Regulator
Consumables: 3 piece tips, 3 piece electrodes, 3 piece gas diffuser, 3 piece shield cups
***Includes FREE DELIVERY and 5 year Warranty***
2 5 3- 9 5 1- x x x x

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

You know I don't know anything about the welder... By the numbers it seems alright but I always am scared of things that don't have a pedigree or known brand name..

What I can tell you is a 253 area code is local to me, the guy cant be more than 30 or 40 miles from me and be in the 253 area code...

If the guy was close and had some way to look at the thing in person Id stop and check it out for you...

Larry

Been welding/fabing over 40 yrs. You get what you pay for. My tig over a grand,Mig
over a grand, Plasma over 2 grand. I realize the new inverter stuff is cheaper. If your
looking for a hobby level might be OK. Can you get service, Consumables, ect? I bought
the wife a mig for yard art. 1 store in 50 miles has tips. NO parts or service, Stick with brand names with support.
Ken

Free delivery always means its harder to say No after inspection.

I'm with the other guys, save up and get name brand. Auctions are a good place to get good oldies. I saw a 300 series go for around $850 and it had a cooling system. Guy was so happy he could hardly contain himself. He said he was willing to go $1200 because he liked the older machines with coils or someting.

what is the lowest power by tig?(i mean how many amper minimum) most of those cheap welders wok up to 20 A,which may be annoying,if you want weld thin stuff. though i buyed a chinese tig,it welds on 5 amp ,and it really welds all day,even at 160.only problem the torch is getting too hot to use... though the unit was ~300$,but if i had the money,i'd buy the merkle(3000$). life makes the decision easy...

• 1 month later...

Inverter stuff doesn't take the knocks that transformer gear will. From my experience, it can be a pain to get repaired. I buy the best quality gear that I can afford. I by it with the intension to have for many years. Save up and buy the good stuff.
Jason

Most every person I know who has bought a machine that was supposed to do it all has been disappointed in one way or another.Unless the gear was very high end and did at least one thing exceptionally well it was sold and dedicated ,brand name, machines were bought.
If a cheap do-all is all you can afford to get going then you`re stuck.Just be aware that you`ll probably replace quickly with brand name upgrades if you plan to use it alot or make money with it.
The price means nothing if you can`t get consumables and support.A non working machine is just taking up valuable space and you`re burning money by having to work around it.

Dragon lair is right The most importan part is the replacement parts with out them the unit is useless a good door stop. When I didn't know better I bought a HF welder it worked well for a while then it was a hassel to get tips and drive wheel. When it came to liner for the gun it was all over. Made it to the recycle bin.

There are those that claim welding units made with imported parts are as good as the brand name. So they say. There are those who even claim some Miller brand equipment has imported parts. So they say. I own a Miller Mig unit and a Miller Plasma cutter 10+yrs and as useful and trouble free as my life has been with these units, I wouldn't recommend anything else in the world. That doesn't mean other brands or imports can't be equally "ok". It's just the fact that the factory where I work owns Miller welding units that run day in day out. We replace tips and things like that and there is never a problem with availability. Even if I over paid for my stuff, at least it has always worked. Good luck. Spears

Be careful with this unit. There is a forum for Everlast on weldingweb. There is a lot more information there. You will have to ask yourself if 5 years is a reasonable time, and will the warranty be really honored.

As for inverters, they are difficult and expensive to repair. I have heard lots of stories,including from people I know about the "inverter nightmare". Buy an inverter welder with a good warranty. Sit on it for awhile because of other committments or apathy. Burn it out after 1 hour of arc time. Find out that the warranty just expired, and the repair will cost $1000. And, it happens with Dynasty's and TA GTSW's, not just Everlast, Lotos, Simadre, Chiry, Longevity (but it happens more with the cheap import machines).

My opinion is that if you buy from a company who looks like it will stand behind its warranty, and you use the machine really hard for a few years, it will have been worth it. It sure has been worth it for me. And my machine still works :D

We need to start putting these post titles in a separate area, and at the end of the year see who typed the best one. So far we have ;

1)Wife and I banged in the new year.

2)What do you guys think of this unit?

Where ,oh where, is this forum headed? :P

Oh yeah, get a good name brand that has a track record. Plenty of welding forums to help make a decision. I have 2 Lincoln MIGs, 2 Miller MIGS, and a Linde TIG welder. No problem getting parts, except maybe for the Linde, don't really know because it hasn't needed anything yet. I would also say to stick with dedicated machines instead of the all in ones. I used a Miller combo (MIG/TIG/Arc), and it was a PITA switching the leads around all of the time.

I ran big Linde MIGs for a long time. After the disolution of Union Carbide, it may be harder to get parts. Out of three 250 amp 3 phase MIGs I only replaced one transformer in twenty years. The Union Carbide brand covered Linde, Purox, Oxweld, etc. If you can find a supplier selling these brands, they may be able to get parts for Linde.

A few years back I was able to get some adjustment info I needed on my Linde UCC-305 TIG. The info is out there, but you have to hunt for it. Fortunately they don't have a lot that goes wrong with them as long as you keep them maintained. The JC I attended had these in the classroom. They had to repair a couple of rheostats that accidentally got adjusted while someone was welding, which arcs the contacts. That happened because the welders were stacked, and the guy thought he was adjusting his.

I recommend that you stay away from multi-use machines, Been using mostly miller lincoln and union carbide myself for 20+ yrs and no problems. As stated before you get what you pay for, for the same money as new junk like you are looking at you should be able to get top quality used equip. What do you need the machine for?

I am wondering if this machine is new and not been ever used or manufactured recently. If it is new and never used it could be a Powercon unit. These units were the grand fathers of inverter power sources of today and made in the 1980's. The company was bought out by Miller Electric in the early 90's if I remember correctly and the first Miller XMT 300 were actually Powercons painted blue and a different face plate on them. I have know people who have use these machines and our very sought after. I have had lots of experience with inverter power sources. The biggest problem I have seen with them are boards shorting out do to lack of maintenance. You have to blow them out regularly.

• 2 weeks later...

Free delivery always means its harder to say No after inspection.

I'm with the other guys, save up and get name brand. Auctions are a good place to get good oldies. I saw a 300 series go for around $850 and it had a cooling system. Guy was so happy he could hardly contain himself. He said he was willing to go $1200 because he liked the older machines with coils or someting.

I like the older machines beause they are copper wound and in my opinion hold their power longer, but repairs are hard to find unless it is a brand name and even then takes a while to get spare parts. I try to keep spare parts on the shelf or donor machines in storage.
I have never tried the less expensive new machines because of the luck I have had with other tools of less expense.