I Forge Iron

Nazel 4N for sale in Washinton $6000

You blew the axle rating on your trailer out of the water there, didn't you? Are those 3,500 pound axles?

Congrats on getting that monkey off your back. It looks like it's well on it's way to being put back in service.

Naw that trailer is good for 14,000 gross... my truck is licensed for 26K... I think I am going to have to find a scale and weigh this thing... I just have to know.. Especially after Grant bad mouthin my ol truck...;)

Don't take it to a State run weight station. Sounds like you are close to over gross weight. Lets say 3500# for the trailer + 8000 for the truck + 13000 for the hammer = 24500 pounds. that leaves 1500 pound wiggle room. Not enough for me and I know California and Nevada get real funny about overweight vehicles... as in big fines and even bigger if you have a CDL and in some cases you have to reload to within rating to leave the scale area.

Looks like I made another error.... It said my "Global limit" of pictures had been reached, not allowing me to post more... so I removed all the photos in the que.... Looks like every photo I have ever posted on the site in now gone..

Bummer....

Probably growing pains from the upgrade. Hopefully Glenn and crew will fix and revert your pics back in from backup.
Phil

Well Ol 236 is en route to Jesse... This has been a whole lot more work than what it looked like when I started... Of course If I would have been able to just pick it with a crane and set it on a truck it would have saved... oh maybe 35 hours and 700 miles of driving... But regardless the ol girl is safe and headed to good hands.. Another machine put to work rather than rusting away...

A scale pic for Grant (no anvil, hammer only) ( the trailer is good for 14,000 GVW, I would say thats about as close as you could get)

4229668225_684dcd1697.jpg

Dragin the anvil on the trailer ( This was trip 8 to the location, 125 miles round trip )

4230436708_cdcf948846.jpg

And on the truck

4229668035_bffb6a0565.jpg

Driver said he will be in Long Beach Monday morning.... The driver was a "good ol boy" 77 years old, I ask him if he knew who Jesse James was, he said "course, His brother Frank and Cole Younger & him got in all kinds of trouble, why you ask?" So I told him this one was a bit younger and built motorcycles and had been on TV... He said "its not that guy and his kid who fight all the time...." nope diffrent guy, "Well good, Sounds like this will be a good load, maybe I can get me a hat and a look around when I unload"
Albert was his name, great guy. Not easy to come by a good long haul trucker these days... The last few I have had to deal with... Well I'll just say it was a pleasure to deal with Albert... B)

Danger Dillion...

"Is this machine for extremely large dies and what is that on top an exhaust?"

The Nazel "N"s are designed so large dies can be used. That tower on top is the muffler, which does translate to an exhaust. It's internal design is an integral part of the air control.

Found the pictures of my Sahinler when I took it apart, didn't remember the exhaust coming straight out like that.
The dovetail runs perpendicular to the die on top, I'm curious why? My Bradley is the same, but you feed material from the side.
Did you weigh the anvil Larry?

i Didnt weight the anvil... But my 5000lb forlift would only pick it if it was sucked in right against the mast. out even 8" it would just hist the rear end in the air.. so I think with the sow block and die it was over 5K

My guess on the dovetail is that if it ran the other way and got loose, or was just simply bigger than the bottom of the ram, it would hit the guides... going this way there is clearance front and back...

On my Niles the dove tail runs parallel with the die as well Murray, Little giant and most hammers I have seen. The Bradley and this Nazel are the only hammers I have seen with this perpendicular set up. In the information I have on my Bradley they talk about being able to outfit it with oversize dies. I'm considering making a set of dies to run material from the front of the Bradley so I would have this perpendicular arraignment on the dies. If I have the dove tail perpendicular to the die it seems I will run the risk of breaking off the dovetail?

The book is available from Bob Bergman at Postville Blacksmith shop http://www.postvilleblacksmith.com/ He has a video available on rebuilding a Nazel. I bought the video from them and they sent that book and another book on building a self contained hammer. The video is not as detailed as I had hoped for the price, but there is a lot of good information on the valving on the Nazels in the book by Mark Krause on building a hammer. The book with the pictures shown above is an old sales brochure.

The book is available from Bob Bergman at Postville Blacksmith shop http://www.postvilleblacksmith.com/nazel.php. He has a video available on rebuilding a Nazel. I bought the video from them and they sent that book and another book on building a self contained hammer. The video is not as detailed as I had hoped for the price, but there is a lot of good information on the valving on the Nazels in the book by Mark Krause on building a hammer. The book with the pictures shown above is an old sales brochure.

The link doesn't seem to work?