I Forge Iron

Nazel 4N for sale in Washinton $6000

I just wanted to to give praise and thanks to Bob Bergman and the Postville blacksmith shop.. My experiences with Bob have been outstanding, Bob is knowledgeable, helpful, and interested in more than making a buck.... I spent over eight grand with Bob last year, but before I ever spent a dime he really went out of his way to do everything he could to help me...

My recomendation is if you ever had any questions or need regaurding a self contained air hammer.. Talk to Bob..

I have dealt with Bruce Wallace a bit as well..

Yes it is heavy and HEAVY DUTY TOO. Gawd folks, Jessee has been doing fantabulous work of all sorts with metal for a loooong time and now there ain't gonna be no holding him back at all! Jess give Grant Sarver a call and order you up a bunch of different tongs to hold iron with. I believe (and a lot of other folks too) that he makes the best tongs going.

Jesse,
Congratulations; that is awesome, just awesome that you are able to obtain such a unique hammer.
Your window of possibilities as a blacksmith has now just opened wider than I can even imagine.
It is always pleasing to me when I see people filling the space of dreams with reality!

The fact that you would take the time to produce photos of your new purchase to share with us says tons about your willingness to be a part of the blacksmithing community at large.

With over 55+ years at the craft, I have made an observation about blacksmiths that are genuinely highly skilled blacksmiths (of which we have many who are members of I Forge Iron).
And that is that they have no problem about sharing any and everything they know about the blacksmithing craft.

In fact, they want you to surpass them.
Their hard earned skills have honed their confidence level above their egos!

I, along with many other like minded blacksmiths will be looking forward to what-ever you are willing to share with us about the installation, tooling, use, and finally, the products that you produce.

Just a thought; all that you are willing to share with us on this site is increased by a value of an undeterminable factor. And that is by however many people will view and benefit from what you share in some fashion or form for most likely many years to come.

Thanks again!
Ted Throckmorton

Great that you are including all of us in your Nazel 4N adventure. Thanks. Seems to me your machine has a great pedigree according to Grant Sarver and others here, and hopefully may run great as is. If not, the California Blacksmith Association has some members (like Toby Hickman) that know big hammers. I'm in Baltimore MD and not one of them, but I've seen Toby demo at ABANA events. This web site is fabulous, but there may be some expertise in southern California. ABANA has a web site so that finding the California officers should be quite easy if needed. An apprentice of Toby's, (rick kraus?) worked with Bob Bergman in Postville, Wisconsin. He wrote a small booklet about Nazel air flows and valves and Bob sells the book along with his video about rewbuilding Nazels. So, maybe the quickest way to contact Toby is via Bob.

IIRC the author of the Nazel/self-contained hammer booklet was Mark Kraus. Had some good diagrams showing air flow while the hammer is in various modes. Jesse, you probably now realize that you've bought yourself one H#$$ of a big hammer! Most folks learn blacksmithing by beating up a piece of 1/2" square, but each to his own. Just be careful, an inexperienced smith could get hurt fast by one of those.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Jesse,
Did you guys ever get a foundation poured? I never heard back from you or Jeff. I'm assuming you guys got it handled. It was cool to see your shop, Makes mine look like an outhouse! Glad to see everything coming together. Let me know if you guys need anything. Oh, i mentioned to Jeff that there is a metalurgical coke analysis place near you, perfectly clean burning, no clinker, and best of all its free.
Brian

alive - Alive - ALIve - it's ALIVE! Congratulations, that is a great hammer and it is good to see it get a good home rather than a junk yard. Of course it is used to Washington weather and you might have to give it a shower bath now and then so it won't feel lost (grin). Now stand by guys the craftmanship is coming! Make something to show us Jesse.

You will want to put some wooden wedges between the frame and anvil to keep things lined up. Pretty cool to see it up and running. First time I've seen one that big set up that way. Lucky it has the older anvil,newer ones are a good foot taller. What's the material between the channel and the bottom of the frame. Anything under the anvil?