I Forge Iron

Nazel 4N for sale in Washinton $6000

The project was located at Hollywood and Vine in Hollywood,ca. I built the 16 story condo building, but there is also a hotel and apartment building. The footings were 6 feet thick, and we placed 8,000,000 pounds of rebar in the footings in three months! Alot of #18bar, bone crushing rebar.
All the tower cranes were liebehr. I also worked on a job with PCL in hollywood near the petersen building off sunset.
And yes tower cranes are handy on tall jobs with lighter loads. I've seen a few Demags in my day, they have a division next to my companys' yard, I am a Ironworker foreman for Pacific Coast Steel. PCL is all over the world aren't they?

I love raft slabs. The heat generated by the curing concrete is unreal. You can pour a thick raft in -20 weather and you wouldn't have to heat and hoard due to the heat generated internally.

The coolest/hottest job I ever bid on was an 8 foot deep, 25 feet diameter raft slab foundation on 12 compacto piles that supported a turret ladle in a steel foundry. They were having a 1 week shutdown to perform all the work (including piling). The surrounding ground was over 150 Degrees C due to being continually exposed to molten steel. It throws you for a loop when you have to consider worker safety when exposing them to soil.

PCL is North American. I think we are now rated as the 7th largest in North America. We started in Canada 103 years ago and branched out to the states. We have performed work over in the Middle East (one our industrial divisions in Bakersfield builds gensets and ships them over to the middle east) but we have no offices over there.

Kind of hijacked the thread, but heres a link to the Hollywood job i worked on for 18 months. Webcor builders, the best jobsite i've ever been a part of. Everyone got along and worked hard to get the job done.
Webcor Builders - Current and Recent Projects

Looks like a cool project. The location would also be highly visible. They are really selling the LEED points for sustainable building on the website.

Nope. I'm a formally trained biologist that spent almost a decade in the malting and brewing industry. My brother worked for PCL and brought me on when the brewing industry was literally tanking. My parents own a lumberyard in a small town, so I had a grasp of basic building concepts, and was reasonable good with math for material takeoffs. I really enjoy the civil and industrial jobs as opposed to commercial. Big concrete is fun.

I grew up on a farm, so I was always exposed to mechanical equipment. I first saw pattern welded steel in the early 90's and was blown away. I learned that it was made by blacksmiths, and that led to me pursuing it (albeit on a much more remedial level than a vast majority of IFI members).

So you are a rod buster? I have a lot of respect for you guys. One of our favorite tying subcontractors were placing 2 metric tonnes of bar/man/day for us on a spillway project this year. Of course it's easier to place those weights when the bar is all big (35M metric bar and up) and you have an rt crane at your disposal.

Yep i am a rodbuster. I am formally trained with a JIW card (journeyman ironworker) so technically i can do structurally as well, but i have spent the last fifteen years as a rodbuster. Currently building explosive storage magazines for the government. I have pilasters that weigh over 20,000 pounds! Since the construction industry has taken such a down turn we are expected to place roughly 2,000 pounds per man per day! With a ten man crew thats alot of rebar!

Monstermetal
That lovely hammer, looking through the thread wanted to say "good man", I know you havent bought it, but it looks like your goin to mighty efforts to sort the move out.
This portraits the respect and appreciation for tools that where built, when quality and choice of materials were paramount.
Great to see..similar climate...webbed feet..moss between toes..enjoyed Seattle irrespective:D

Just curious what the overall size of this jewel is?
Trying to get a feel for what you are undertaking.

Probably too late, but, any way to get a heavy wrecker in to pick it up?
My large lathe (Springfield 42" x 160") is just over 20,000 pounds, 23 feet long and 10 feet tall and Used a heavy wrecker to lift it off the lowboy. Lots cheaper than a crane.

Marshall

No access for a forklift. That would be my first choice but there is no approach.. Shoot the crane has to pick from 20-30 feet away ......

Its a bog and a slick mess to boot. Had a truck in to move the container today. His drive axle sank to the hub and he made trenches with the landing gear on his way out.... took three tries and I was pretty sure I was going to have to go hot wire the excavator down the street to pull him out... but he made it...

and he didn't even have to go back where its bad

So how did this hammer end up in it's present location anyway ? Did the former owner move it to this rather out of the way site with big plans in mind that never quite materialized ? How did they move it there ?

None of this big stuff moves quickly or easily so there's got to be an interesting story behind it.

Well this has been a real experience...... Today was crane day to load out the Nazel... However yesterday when I called the crane outfit I found out they had bumped me to next tuseday... Not a big deal, except the hammer had to be out of its hole no later than Sunday night... so I spent the day yesterday feeling like a kicked puppy... wasn't real sure what I was going to do since I am simply out of time... So I figured I got to do what I can.. .I went out to the shop this morning and loaded up my 5000lb forklift on the equipment trailer and headed up there.. bought a bunk of rail road ties and a couple sticks of 2" sch 80 for slide rails.... My partner Joe helped me and in a little less than 10 hours we jacked the thing 4 foot in the air to clear the anvil ( we tried for a couple hours to get the die or sow block loose so we didnt have to go so high but no luck.. should have brought more than a 8 lb hammer) I should also mention I am sick, had a 100.6 fever this morning, im coffin up burnt tapioca and my whole body is mad at me... my teeth hurt for heaven sake... Anyway After some real work we managed to jack the thing up, move it over the anvil and get it loaded on the trailer... with nothing more than a winch, a come along and a couple of 15 ton rail jacks.... (we couldnt get the forklift far enough back there it did much good... Im hoping now that the hammer is gone we can get to the anvil with it though) Now I have to figure out how to get it off the trailer so I can go back and get the anvil and my forklift.... Oh and this thing is heavy I dont buy the 13,000 Grant.... My forklift weighs 12000 and this thing weighs much more... Only thing I have ever had behind my turbo diesel that really made it work... we had one hill that mashed to the floor best I could do was 30 mph..... its heavy... Id like to run it over a scale before it comes off the trailer just to see... but not sure I want to run up to the weigh station with it for fear they might be open...

So how did this hammer end up in it's present location anyway ? Did the former owner move it to this rather out of the way site with big plans in mind that never quite materialized ? How did they move it there ?

None of this big stuff moves quickly or easily so there's got to be an interesting story behind it.

He set it with a crane prior to the boats ending up in the way...