I Forge Iron

I clench my teeth working on the anvil

My dentist swears up and down that I grit my teeth when I sleep. I've told him for a few years that he's crazy.

Today i realized I clench my teeth when I'm working on the anvil. Can't help it, it just happens. I stay quite relaxed when I'm working, but my jaw really tightens up. Once I realized it I tried to not do it, but it was really hard. That will take a lot of conscious effort while I'm working.

Anybody else do this?

I've been a "grinder" for years and my natural reaction is to clench when I'm concentrating.

If you're doing the same, you might give some reconsideration to your D's suggestion that you might be a night grinder. It has a big impact on the ol' dental health (as I found out to my chagrin). A night guard or some physical therapy on the jaw may help if you're having ongoing problems.

Spend about 10-15 seconds every few minutes and focus on your breathing. This techniques works when things sometimes get desperate when I rock climb and it should work for forging too.

I used to clench my teeth when I'd pull a hard move when I climbed a lot. It was pretty bad on long leads in the valley. Glad I'm not standing on long strings of heads and hooks anymore.

I swing pretty hard when I'm reducing large stock and that's when I do it. I paid close attention this afternoon.

once youve identified this kind of thing its much easier to get rid of it - i would totally concentrate on changing the habit every single time you notice it and it will soon happen a lot less. any kind of held tension in the body has knock on effects all over you so its really worth trying to get on top of it. i like the singing idea;)

Like what has been mentioned, Get a "bite guard".
You'll be glad you did. After you have it then work on what is causing it when you work.
And your dentist is probably right about grinding your teeth at night. I thought my dentist had a loose screw also. He didn't though!

Clenching your teeth when concentrating is a fairly normal reaction,

If you were in a high stress situation where you might be attacked and hit in the jaw

this would prevent you from being knocked out for the most part

you may find it easier just you buy a guard of sorts, its pretty likely you might unconciously do this in many situations but not hard enough that you notice it because you jaw muscles dont get tired

I second the breathing idea. I use breathing techniques in my line of work which often includes "high" stress enviroments. The 4 count can be played with depending on the user.

In through the nose, two, three, four.
Hold two, three, four.
Out through the lips two, three, four.
Hold two, three, four.

Get a cheap Nike mouth guard for football and wear it while you work. If you chew through it in a month, that is serious, and you can crack teeth or be at risk for TMJ. I know someone who chews through 5-6 a year and has been able to skip medical treatments just by making sure to wear the guard. Otherwise, you will start losing teeth.

HAHA, no, I wish I clenched my teeth! When I am super-concentrating at the anvil sometimes I find myself sticking the tip of my tounge out just a tiny bit, like a little kid concentrating in a cartoon. I am just waiting to burn my darned tounge. lol, like this kid:

18311.attach

Edited by MarkC